Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to keep Zinny as an indoor pet (now that my dad knows about her being here, and hasn't said anything about getting rid of her for the last couple months, I suppose it's safe to make this decision!)

Even though she's already 18 months old, I haven't gotten anything done with her. When she went to get spayed, I didn't have any vaccinations, as I really didn't have the money (spaying was free, from the local rescue/TNR group). Now that I have a job and more money, I want to get going with having her properly taken care of.

For the first vet visit, this is what I have planned:
Basic physical exam
FIV/Lukemia test
Urine test
Blood work (full panel)
Rabies vac.
Regular/common vac.
Microchip (had a collar, and of course she lost it...can't lose a chip!)

Anything else I should get done to get her all settled with knowing she's either healthy or needs something extra? I was thinking fecal exam, as I'm not sure if she has worms. She's not bloated, and I have never seen any 'rice' on her...but I figure better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
I commend you for wanting to do everything possible to safeguard the health of your cat, but I think you might be going a bit overboard. If she were 18 yrs old instead of 18 mos old, I could see doing most of what you have listed. But unless she's demonstrating urinary discomfort, a urine test really isn't necessary in an otherwise healthy young cat. I, personally, wouldn't run bloodwork on a young, healthy animal, either, though it wouldn't hurt to do so in order to establish a baseline. Adding a fecal exam is a good idea, esp. in a young cat who's been living outdoors.

As far as vaccinations are concerned, it would be better for her immune system if you space them out rather than giving them in a single day. I prefer to wait a month between the rhino/calici/panleuk and the rabies vaccs.

Laurie

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I agree with what Laurie said about adding the fecal test (for worms and such) and also spacing out the vaccinations.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

Yes, she's young, and yes, it may be a bit much...but since my good "start" is over a year late, and she has been outside and exposed to other ferals and stuff, I want to do it right the first time!

I'll add the fecal test to the request when I get to the vet. And ask about spacing shots too.
I was thinking about blood work, mostly to see what's normal for her when she IS healthy, and it just may catch something that has no symptoms yet.

The urine test is probably not necessary, except that she drinks quite a lot... I see her at the fountain at least 3 times a day, where Nebbie and Paizly go only once or twice. If it comes back negative for anything, that's fine....but I would hate to NOT test, and later catch a disease I could have cured/treated from the start.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
The thing about a urine test is that the only way to get really reliable results from one is to have the urine collected via cystocentesis (a needle inserted through the belly directly into the bladder) to collect a sterile sample. Any sample that is naturally excreted through the urethra is likely to collect bacteria as or after it is excreted, giving a false positive for UTI. Also, urine that is not tested immediately after collection is going to test positive for urinary crystals, since crystals form in all urine that sits outside of the body for any length of time.

In other words, an accurate urine test is going to require an invasive (needle) collection that will pose some risk and cause some discomfort to your cat, and it wouldn't be likely to diagnose anything significant that the bloodwork wouldn't catch. Bloodwork will diagnose all three of the primary causes of excessive thirst in cats - diabetes, renal failure, and hyperthyroidism - all of which would be extremely unlikely in a cat as young as yours.

Laurie

·
Registered
36 Posts
I never over do it on tests but i would get a blood screen and the leukemia test done because she has been an outdoor cat without vaccinations. You have to protectyour other two also. I think most vets would just vaccinate and deworm her as well as do a fecal test for other parasites that deworming pills dont cover.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would think the microchipping would hurt much more than the cystocentesis... have you seen the size of those needles??
Some cats act like you're killing them, and others barely notice.

I'll ask the vet what she thinks about all this. I wouldn't mind all the tests, but I guess if I really don't need something, I won't get it. This vet is WAY better than the last 4 I've been too. I hesitated on going to her because it's nearly a half hour drive... but not only is she good, she's also less expensive. So I guess Zinny will just have to suffer long car rides that day. I'll use some Feliway/Comfort Zone spray, since Paizly seemed to do just fine with that.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
For Vivid Dawn: Both my cats were microchipped this summer when my vet had a sale, free microchip with subscription to Home Again. I saw the big needle but it didn't bother either one of my cats. It took a second to inject the chip. I feel better that they are chipped now, even though they are both strictly indoor cats. You just never know when a situation may occur that could lead to the cat escaping the premises.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wonder if they'll charge me for 2 chips if Zinny's doesn't go through the first time...? She has long, fluffy fur, and I know cats like that sometimes "miss" the injection. Several times when I'm helping chip cats at the shelter I volunteer for, if their fur is too thick, we don't quite get the skin and the chip comes out in our hand when we double check with a rub at their shoulders.

·
Super Moderator
26,810 Posts
Wow, I've never heard of chips "missing" the mark. My (long-haired) girls are all chipped, and they never made a peep.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
If they "miss" with the chip, they shouldn't charge you for two, that's their error, not yours.

I agree with Laurie F about the Full labs and urine test being a bit OTT. But the FELV/FIV test, rabies, fvrcp, fecal test and microchip are essential. Keep in mind she will need another FVRCP in 3-4 weeks because this will have been her first vaccine ever.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts