Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

5,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 Brits die each year testing if a 9v battery works on their tongue.

142 Brits were injured in 1999 by not removing all pins from new

58 Brits are injured each year by using sharp knives instead of

31 Brits have died since 1996 by watering their Christmas tree while
the fairy lights were plugged in.

19 Brits have died in the last 3 years believing that Christmas
decorations were chocolate.

British Hospitals reported 4 broken arms last year after cracker
pulling accidents.

101 people since 1999 have had broken parts of plastic toys pulled out
of the soles of their feet.

18 Brits had serious burns in 2000 trying on a new jumper with a lit
cigarette in their mouth.

A massive 543 Brits were admitted to A&E in the last two years after
opening bottles of beer with their teeth.

5 Brits were injured last year in accidents involving out of Control
Scalextric cars. and finally.........

In 2000 eight Brits cracked their skull whilst throwing up into the

I am proud to be British

1,284 Posts
chaoticborders said:
Wait?! You can die from licking a 9volt?!?! I do it all the time! *panic*
Doing a Google search suggests that part is an urban legend.

Generally current kills you by going through your heart. When you lick the battery the current goes through your tongue, not your heart.

Apparently there is one case on record of a sailor killing himself when he decided to measure his "internal" resistance by sticking the probes of a multimeter *though* his skin, one in each hand. The resistance of skin is much higher than that of the interior of the body, and apparently once he stuck the probes in, the current in the 9v battery that makes the meter work was enough to kill him as it passed through his heart.

But any damage from licking it should be confined to your tongue. :)

Personally, I test batteries with a multimeter. I don't stick the probes through my skin, though!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts