Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 9 year old female has started to have little clumps of stuck together fur on her back near her tail.

I'm wondering what this might be and if there's anything I can do to remedy it? It doesn't seem to cause any discomfort - it just looks a bit scruffy.

She's an indoors cat so it can't be anything she's picked up anywhere.

Does anyone have any advice? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
She may have got something stuck on her furr. You gotta get a kitty-brush and groom her every once in a while.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Is she long haired? My cat is long haired and sometimes he gets clumps of just knotted fur. If she's ever outside it could be a brier (i'm not sure what kind of area you live in, our cats have had those and we're out in the country.) You could try (if she'll let you) to snip a little at the clumps with scissors to help loosen them up. Make sure you don't cut near the skin, of course. :)

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Brushing doesn't do it; you need to comb her to get out those little mats that form underneath. Brushes just glide right over those. If they're really bad, you might need to have them clipped (shaved) out by the vet or groomer.

It's also important to consider why she might not be grooming herself adequately, because most cats can keep these under control themselves. Teeth problems or other underlying physical issues like arthritis could be involved; maybe time for a check-up?

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 5 of 5 Posts