Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in early january, i took all 3 of my cats to the vet to get tapeworm and flea meds. the worms were bothering reeko and woody so much, they were licking/chewing so much they got bald spots. woody's damage was mild and has since grown back. but reeko has small bare patches on the back of his legs and on one of his sides. i haven't caught him licking there, but shouldn't it have grown back by now? it appears to be making progress, although very slowly. should i be worried? they are all worm-free now, and the fleas are almost gone. i rarely find a flea on them these days.

i also have a weight loss question. due to an ugly breakup with my boyfriend of 5 years, i had to move in with my parents about a year ago. their cat constantly tormented reeko and when he would retalliate, my parents would scream at him and/or smack him and/or lock him in my room. he was one super stressed little kitty, and he started losing weight. he used to be a solid 17 pounds (the muscular kind, not the fat kind) and now he's only 13 pounds. i moved out of my parents' house rather quickly. there was talk of having reeko put down and i didn't take that lightly. actually, excuse my curses, it REALLY PISSED ME OFF. he hasn't gained any of the weight back though, and i'm wondering how big his hindquarters is supposed to be compared to the front? he's always been a beefy cat, always wider in the front. i was standing over him the other day and since he's missing some fur in that area, i noticed how thin he is there. i'd take a photo, but my webcam is just awful. he eats like a pig, dumps like a truck, and is as playful as always, but i can't help but be concerned. he's not the type of cat that will let me know if there's something wrong with him :wink: he doesn't look emaciated by any means, just smaller than i'm used to.

any info would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
It's very common for cats who lose their fur for some reason between shedding seasons to not regrow the fur until the next season. In this case, you should see some regrowth in the spring. But...you never know! I had one who was over-shaved for an ultrasound and one spot on the back of her leg did not grow back for 5 years...then one day, it was all filled in. :roll:

Significant weight loss like this should always be checked by the vet. Bloodwork and a urinalysis will rule out the big causes of weight loss--liver, kidney and pancreatic disease. Diabetes is a major risk in a "beefy" cat, particularly if he eats a lot of dry food. Often they feel fine, but they lose weight quickly, and usually they drink a lot and pee a lot.

I'm really glad you got him out of that awful situation--and yourself, too!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's good to know! i'll give his fur time then.

i also went back to make sure of his weight. i was wrong...he was only 15 pounds before. bugger feels like a cinder block when you pick him up though :lol: is losing 2 pounds over the course of 6 months still a bad thing though?

bad news though...reeko has tapeworms again :roll: i saw one on his rear yesterday. gotta do this all over again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts