Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mentioned blowing soap bubbles for him to burst on another thread, but I'm in need of more cat-mommy interactive play ideas...

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
I'll be interested to see what ideas you get, because I need some too. One thing we've started doing that's fun for the whole family (well, Murphy), is that I say, "Ready??" and hold up one of his little mice, and throw it down the long hallway. He runs after it and overshoots it, and crouches down to keep his eye on it. Rinse and repeat. At least he's getting some exercise out of it, even if the game serves no real purpose. :)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Our guys like the laser pointer toys. It is one of our morning rituals here. Pingpong balls in the tub or create a soccer field (the grandkids created it actually) out of a large mirror/picture moving box always get a response.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I have a mouse/feather tied to a long (about 12 foot) string. I toss the mouse/feather while holding onto the other end of the string, and then reel the mouse/feather back in again, whereupon the girls will chase/stalk it. Sometimes I just wiggle the long string on the ground, and they will pounce on the string.

I also have a small basket with all sorts of bouncy balls. I sit at the bottom of my staircase and toss the balls about 3 or 4 stairs high, such that the balls bounce down the stairs, and the girls then chase the balls.

I also play Da Bird, Cat Dancer and similar wand toy games with them. After a few minutes, when they seem bored with the game, I dangle the toy inside a box with come cutout holes or at one end of a cat tunnel, which always perks their interest back up. Alternatively, I make the toy hide behind a corner or climb up a wall, which similarly adds to the girls' interest.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yay, I have to print out this thread for constant reference!

Especially ideas to make him run, which he gets little opportunity to do.

·
Registered
183 Posts
My cat loves when you take a large box (like an air conditioner comes in or larger) and cut a few entry ways into it with some extra odd shaped holes to drop toys in. Hide and seek is popular too. I hide behind a door or piece of furniture and he rushes up like he's gonna attack me then runs off the other direction. Laser pointers are super fun. I've never seen anything change directions as fast as a cat chasing a red dot...lol...a great way to get rid of their extra energy.

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
Besides laser pointers there's toy mice and string that I can drag around/tie things too. And cat nip toys. What more could a cat want? :p

As far as games go, I used to play hide and seek with Blaze (avatar cat)... my dad would hold on to him and then I'd run and hid behind a door somewhere, when Blaze found me he'd meow at me. Sometimes I'd hide in the bathroom and he'd see me in the mirror and meow at my reflection! Haha. We haven't done that in a few years but I bet he'd still like to play the game.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
I've played "chase" and "hide & stalk" with some of our kitties. When they're getting 'wild eyed' I'll shout out some loud "Woo-hoo's!" to egg them on and sometimes I'll widen my eyes, hunch my shoulders and do 'grabby-fingers-claw-hands' at them. I love it when they pounce and bounce towards me, especially if they do it sideways with their ears back and tails curled in an upside down U.

·
Registered
13 Posts
With my new kitten/cat Urbie (I've had him a month, and after being a stray, he's totally at home)...he's come into his own!

We play with the flashlight. Unlike a laser, it has a very audible "click" when it turns on. After the second time, he'd hear that click and be ON GUARD!!!! Ready to rumble.

We also play with the feather/stick thing. But I now initiate all play time with the click of the flashlight. He likes to run and jump up like "SURPRISE", it's funny as can be, but I'm a little concerned because my 88 year old mum lives with us, and she broke her pelvis last fall.

But after a week of "initiating" the play time with the audible click, I think it's starting to sink in. When he initiates play with me, I still use the click of the flashlight to make it official.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Oh, one more toy idea. We got Urbie one of those cardboard scratch boxes that you put the catnip in. We put it in the middle of the floor (on the carpet) and he runs and jumps on it...it kind of surfs a bit. Maybe I'll stick a string on it and give it a yank, I bet he'd like that too.

The Empress, of course, disdains all of this activity, the only play she desires is for my mom to follow her to the kitchen on DEMAND, and of course, mega attention when she jumps on laps. Did I mention she will sit next to one of us, tilt her head a bit to make sure you're looking at her, and then just plop over. It's hilarious. I'll try to video it, I don't know how she learned to do that.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
MowMow and I are always c hasing each other around the apartment. One of the games he likes to play(me not so much) is to stand somewhere in the apartment and yowl like he's dying. It's the same noise he made when he couldn't pee and it always brings me running. Then he bounds out from some hiding place on his back legs with his front paws spread wide and lunges at me. Then he runs off trilling. I swear he loves to hear me scream.

He loves to 'boodgekitty'. That means he races into whatever room I'm in at top speed and stops shorts trilling at me. I ignore him until he gets close enough for me to reach down fast and grab him. Then I pin him on the bed on his back and bounce him against the mattress. When I let go he races off trilling at me.

He also likes me to jiggle him on the back of the computer chair. He digs into it with his claws and I sit in the chair and jerk it back and forth. He hangs on and bites at it and growls like he's on the back of a Waterbuffalo.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Games Cats Play

A lot of these ideas sound really fun and neat. But Ritz, being formerly feral and still a scaredy cat, would freak if I jumped out at her, even in fun.
Ritz loves Da Mouse, use to like Da Bird but I guess seeing all the birds out on the balcony satisfies that urge. I do sometimes user the laser pointer, especially when she seems hyper and/or has an attack of the 'crazies'. The only thing is, with the laser, there is no 'reward': she can't pounce at a light like she can a mouse. So after we do the laser, I try to switch toys to Da Mouse that she can pounce on and/or chew.
Also, my small, one-bedroom condo is almost completely carpeted. So some of the toys, like certain balls, don't roll well. That said, she loves to "hunt" balls in a small cardboard box, which is open at both ends, and a cut out in the middle.
Play time is a great way to bond with your cat, it's a way to show love that has nothing to do with food :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Personally, my boys think LIFE is a game. they like to cling on to the dogs' waggy tails - the hounds are very patient.

I personally like the game of hiding under the duvet and making sure everything is tucked in, hoping I can go an entire night without one of the kittens attacking.

They love anything shiny, and weirdly like to hide things. They stole a load of gift bows at Christmas, and I'm getting used to going to the gym and finding a silver bow in my gym shoes. Gee, thanks kids :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Grady likes to play fetch with hair elastics. He started it, I dont know what made him start it but he'll find a hair elastic, one of the many im sure he has hidden, and will drop it at my feet. If I don't pick it up and throw it he will attack my toes so I throw it and he chases it and brings it back and drops it at my feet again. He loves it, it's easy to do, and it gets him moving a whole lot more. Checkers used to do it too but she doesn't play much anymore. Athena loves peek-a-boo with boxes. Tall boxes so she can hide and I'll lay on the floor and hide and either she'll pop out or I'll pop my head up. I find it easier just to use my hand and scratch at the sides up the box and then make it 'jump out' at her. Grady also loves string, just plain string. I walk around the house with it and he goes crazy, sometimes even taking it firmly in his mouth and turning around trying to walk ME. The cats love large pieces of paper weather it be a flimsy posterboard or a paper bag cut open. They love to hide under it and they actually run and jump on it, sliding across the floors. It's quite hilarious. I've tried bouncy balls, just rolling them and they usually find their own bounce but the cats only chase them until they start to move, then they get all scared of it =D

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
There's a few I play with ours, each has their own favorite.

Torri likes to play 'bedmice' in the mornings. I wiggle my fingers against the bed, or scratch the sheets and she'll come pounce. We do that a bit, then suddenly the tables are turned and the bedmouse pounces her! Then she runs around all excited before coming back to do it again. lol.

Jitzu has started to play chase with me, she gets all excited, then arches her back and bounces off. She never wants to play for long, but she likes it.

With the boys the game they like the very best is 'the bitey feets game'. I've played this with them since they were little. I lie them on their back in my arms, like a baby, then pretend I'm going to eat their feet. Their eyes get all wide and excited, and they pull their feeet very close to their bodies. Then I open mymouth wide and pretend not to pay attention. They can't resist, they always try to put a paw in my mouth, then I 'catch' them.
There are other games, but they purr the loudest and always come back for more. They will sometimes come and ask to play by snuggling up to me and gently pawing my lips. Very sweet :D
They will also play this together, whenever they are wrestling whoever happens to be 'on top' will pretend to bite the others paws. It's definitely their favorite.
My dad used to play 'bear trap' with me when I was little, he'd hold out his hand and I'd try to touch his palm and pull away before he could grab my hand. That's where I got the idea.

Muffin also loves to play fetch, especially with the rabbit fur 'spiders' I get for him.
Doran loves knocking bottle caps down the stairs, then carrying them back to the top to do it again. lol He now asks his daddy for a beer....

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
He also likes me to jiggle him on the back of the computer chair. He digs into it with his claws and I sit in the chair and jerk it back and forth. He hangs on and bites at it and growls like he's on the back of a Waterbuffalo.
Samantha loves when I shake my computer chair too. :D Her being front declawed, I try not to shake too hard for fear of flying kitty, but she just loves it and bites down on the fabric, and attacks it with her paws. I also sing to her, and we have multiple conversations a day. Samantha really doesn't play much with toys...once in a while we can get Da Bird going, and she loves her Catfish but she really just carries him around meowing loudly. She, more or less, watches me jump around like an idiot trying to entertain her, and I think she gets her enjoyment outta that, haha!

Alice loves just about anything. If it can be played with, then it's a toy made just for her. Together we play with laser pointers, Da Bird, the rope on the cat tree, thrown springs, rings, mylar balls, and plushies...and thats just the cat toys. Every morning I have work, she waits right by the door, because she knows I'm going to be putting my work shoes on soon, and she loves attacking my laces. We play fetch, and we go outside for walks. She loves the "Got Your Butt!" game, where I...grab her butt. XD She cleans litter boxes with me, and I always ask her "Where's your poop going, Alice?", and she gets all excited and starts running circles around me, haha!

Rochelle likes to play with Da Bird and the laser pointer. And very recently, she decided her favorite toys are those little lattice balls with a bell inside. She. Goes. Nuts! She's even learned to bring the ball back to us, so we can keep throwing it for her...not as refined of a fetch as Alice, but she's getting there. :D My arm tires out way before she does, and thats something only my Dalmatian was able able to do chasing tennis balls...I'm actually pretty impressed with her stamina.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Oh and I'll do 'jaws' with him. I make pinchy fingers at him under the blanket he's laying on and say "tic-kle..tic-kle...tic-kle.." to the jaws theme music and get closer and closer and just before I strike I say "ticklemonster!" and pinch him lightly through the blanket. He goes wild and attacks the ticklemonster and rabbit kicks it.

That makes me smile more than it excites him because I don't know WHO owned him before but he would never play when he moved here. Toys, da bird, fingers under blankets and even the laser pointer... he'd just stare at it blankly. His eyes didn't even dialate. Now he's super playful and wants to chase stufff all the time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts