Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mother says that if you feed the animals (dogs and cats) a little piece of garlic it will help keep the fleas at bay. I haven't tried this but the fleas are begining to get bad and I have 5 cats and 2 dogs. I try and try but I can't seem to keep them from eating my babies alive. I really don't want to try this...any opinions and sugguestions on flea control.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I've heard that garlic is bad for cats. Not sure how true that is though. I believe the Garlic myth came from vampires.. I don't believe it works.

I suggest buying Advantage or Frontline. It starts killing fleas almost instantly! I've heard good things about Revolution also.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Garlig and other onions contain a toxic substance called thiosulfate and really shouldn't be given to cats or dogs at all. There are to mu knowledge no proof that garlic keep the bugs away. In Sweden many people believe that garlic "in the bloodstream" will keep ticks away, but in fact it's the vitamins (vitamin B) in the garlic that keep the ticks away, I guess the same goes for all bugs, so you can try to fight off the bugs by giving your cats and dogs some extra vitamin B.

·
Registered
282 Posts
You can try this recipe for natural flea-killing. It isn't as good as Frontline, but it works in a pinch.

Boil 1 lemon, sliced, and some rosemary in about 1/2 gallon water and then leave the mixture to steep overnight. Strain. Wash pets with a citrus soap (just a tiny bit of lemon dish soap works well) and then rinse with the mixture. You can also spray on floors and fabrics.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow. thanks a lot for all the advice, the garlic thing sounded like an old wives tale and I just really didn't want to give it to my pets. I will try that lemon thing. Thanks again!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wellness brand food has garlic in it. According to them it fights parasites in the intestinal tract. Repels fleas and ticks, & boosts the immune system. It also helps lower blood cholesterol & promote digestion of food. :)

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
I wonder about those sort of claims because the amount of garlic in the food is so low. Ah well, you can't blame them for making health claims, all food companies do it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I use Advantage or Revulation......it can be expensive with cute a few pets...(8 cats and a dog) but it's soooo worth it!! No fleas around here!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, I feel like I am being taken over by my...wait I stand corrected I have been taken over by my pets...( 5cats and 2 dogs, plus fish 2 gerbils, 1 rat, and 1 snake) Thanks for all the advice and recommendations.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts