Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple weeks ago my 6 month old kitten started getting really bad gas. Then last night I noticed she has diarrhea.

I switched her dry food to Blue Buffalo recently, but I've been doing the slow transition (about a month later now and I just now stopped giving her a mix). The gas didn't start until about 2 weeks into the transition.

I'm assuming it's probably because of the food change, even though we took it slow. If it is the food change and she just needs more time to adjust, how much more time to I give before I try something new if she doesn't get better? I know BB is supposed to be a really high quality brand, but has anyone ever had any trouble with it?

She was just at the vet at the end of Oct getting spayed and checked out. She was fine, there were no complications, etc. I'm not really worried at this point about it being anything serious. She hasn't had it for long and she doesn't appear to have any other symptoms. But I certainly don't want to make it worse for her!

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Sometimes it's not just the quality of the food, but how it sits with kitty, in other words the food's digestability. I used to feed my cats EVO, which is about the best no-grain food that is out on the market and my cats would have horrible gas and constant diarrhea. I then switched over to Wellness and that was much easier on their tummies.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Cats like people respond to different foods differently. She just have to try and find the one your cat responds to best. I've never tried the Blue Buffalo food.

Both my cats are on Wellness canned, and little dry Evo kibble. Both respond well to it, with no diarrhea or gas. In fact I've had to keep feeding them a little less of it than I was before as they were both gaining too much weight on it. So it's always a consideration of what to feed and how much.

My boy was a hefty 12.5 lbs. a few weeks ago and I think he might have lost 1 lb. I'll have to weigh him in another week or so at the vet's office. Vet wants him down to 10.5 lbs. where he was 3 yrs. ago---he's 6 y.o now. So I've reduced his dry kibble even more from 1/4c to 1/8c + 2 heaping tsps. of Wellness 2x/day. It doesn't sound like a lot for an active Devon Rex, but he's doing very well on it because it's high protein quality food.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Cats like people respond to different foods differently.

Both my cats are on Wellness canned, and little dry Evo kibble. Both respond well to it, with no diarrhea or gas. In fact I've had to keep feeding them a little less of it than I was before as they were both gaining too much weight on it. So it's always a consideration of what to feed and how much.
Interesting. I've noticed something similar. I serve two wet meals a day, morn and night, with an EVO dry snack at mid-day. I also add fish oil at night, which adds calories. The wet is EVO, Weruva chicken or Wellness chicken or Core. I noticed they were all gaining weight, so I have cut back both on wet portions and on the size of the EVO dry snack. They act like they are starving before each meal, but they look better and are more active now, not that they were inactive before, lol. My guys still eat more than my one female, Snowball, who is less active. No diarrhea or gas after the initial transition, but I still get smelly poop, until the kitty litter absorbs the smell, which take awhile.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts