·
Super Moderator
26,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's really quite sad.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
It is very sad........and discusting!!! Gas is $4.09 per gallon here!

I thought I just heard something on the news about a large increase in oil production somewhere this summer. I forget where this was said, but the comment was made by whatever country it was, that they are very displeased about the effect it is having on the economy. Well...........Duh! :roll: It took this long to figure that out?

·
Super Moderator
26,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My cheapo gas station is up to $4.65. We hit $5 a gallon some time ago at other stations.

·
Registered
981 Posts
wow we are at $4.87 here...... Luckly my boss gives me a gas allowance since I drive 6hrs out of 8 work hours a day.I get $60 a week and I only spend $30 of my own on gas

·
Registered
216 Posts
:lol: :lol: That is great!

Prices are going down a bit. We found a station today at $3.99/gal. We were up to $4.19 at one point.

If only the speculators would stop speculating, ethanol blends would go away, we could drill our own oil(should have done it years ago)and build more refinerys we would have cheap gas right now.

Sigh...I can only dream. :roll: (can you tell which side of the aisle I stand on? :lol: )

Good news... http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080615/saudi_oil.html

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
You guys should try the UK if you think prices there are really that bad.

In my town we pay £1.22 / litre for unleaded. There is 4.5 litres to a gallon. So we pay £5.49 a gallon, which is 10.7163 USD. Where I live isn't the most expensive petrol either, so think yourselves lucky! :)

Plus we have petrol tankers on strike with more strikes planned nextweek and so many forecourts running dry, so prices are going up as well as petrol running out.

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
I heard on the news this morning that Saudi Arabia is going to increase oil production next month because they are afraid that we will find alternate fuels if the cost of gas continues to go up.

Zalensia and cattus: I can not imagine paying what you all do for everything! I hope that your wages are alot higher than ours.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Oh my goodness. I knew prices were going up back home, but that's outrageous! I sold my car before I moved out here, thinking I'd get a hybrid when I moved back, but at this rate, I'm gonna need an electric scooter!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Can we build those refineries in your back yard?

*sweet smile*
My back yard it too small, silly :wink: . Directly in town...no but in a surrounding area....go right ahead. Think of all the jobs and growth it would create.

The demand for gas has gone up over the years but our ability to refine has dropped...how does that make sense? The whole process would be closely monitored by every government agency there is and every enviromental wacko would be sniffing around it too. Not to mention technology has improved and is cleaner since the last one was built. The last refinery was built in 1976 and since then government red tape and enviromental groups have blocked every effort to build a new one. Refinerys now are running at nearly 100% and if the demand goes up anymore....you do the math.

Again...I'm not holding my breath that one will be built anytime soon but I can hope. And that is my humble opinion.

*steps off soap box*

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Leazie said:
Zalensia and cattus: I can not imagine paying what you all do for everything! I hope that your wages are alot higher than ours.
Well I have no idea on US wages. In the UK there is a legal minimum wage for everyone over the age of 22, its £5.52/hour (10.8419 USD).

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Heres a little update for ya'll on the petrol situation in the UK.

Some places in Cornwall (where I live) have started running out of petrol.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/7456255.stm

Petrol in Devon (county next to me) had petrol hit a price of £1.99 / litre
A Devon petrol station has been charging £1.99 a litre - more than £9 a gallon - as nearly 400 forecourts in the county suffered dwindling supplies.
(From BBC news)

Thats over 17.6658 USD a gallon...
Petrol is really going crazy over here.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
It's about $6.70 -$7.40, but there should be a cost of liviing raise. Good grief. :( That's not enough to live on.

We need to emphasize good mass transportation. I'll never understand why streetcars (trolleys) were removed from this area, and bus service is not provided at all out here.

We are foolish not to take trains, trolleys, and buses, if they're available. We'd force down the cost of gas until we could switch to solar energy, which is where we should be putting our money. We talk about it, but we don't insist upon it. :( Everything new is expensive, of course, but we need to help ourselves, our posterity, and the planet.

·
Banned
804 Posts
just passed $6/gallon here >.<

Nate and I are talking about selling the cadillac. costs more than $130 to fill it up, and we have to do that every 5 days or so....

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm very lucky, I live in the city and last year I was able to find an apartment only 3 blocks away from my office. There's a bus stop across the street from me, I'm 4 blocks from the grocer's and 5 from a rail station. As a result I've been fairly oblivious to recent gas prices. It's unbelievable how expensive it is both here in the U.S. and abroad but I guess it might be somewhat beneficial to the environment if everyone starts carpooling and taking public transit. I know it's going to sound like I'm bragging, but all day passes for the bus, light rail, and subway are a fixed $3.50. I can ride around all day for cheaper than a gallon of gasoline.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts