Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my all-time favorite comedians expired yesterday at the age of 71. He was still performing, as recently as last weekend.

In one of his most famous routines, Carlin railed against euphemisms he said have become so widespread that no one can simply “die.”

“‘Older’ sounds a little better than ‘old,’ doesn’t it?,” he said. “Sounds like it might even last a little longer. ... I’m getting old. And it’s OK. Because thanks to our fear of death in this country I won’t have to die — I’ll ‘pass away.’ Or I’ll ‘expire,’ like a magazine subscription. If it happens in the hospital they’ll call it a ‘terminal episode.’ The insurance company will refer to it as ‘negative patient care outcome.’ And if it’s the result of malpractice they’ll say it was a ‘therapeutic misadventure.”’
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25322638/

His last interview on MSNBC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UVXj8F9 ... re=related

·
Super Moderator
26,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On Tuesday, it was announced that Carlin was being awarded the 11th annual Mark Twain Prize for American Humor, which will be presented Nov. 10 in Washington and broadcast on PBS.
Sadly, this will now be awarded posthumously,but at least he knew about it. :(

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
I have always enjoyed Geoge Carlin's humor, and was very upset by the news of his death. He was at his funniest when talking about simple, everyday things that we can relate to, but are not funny until George Carlin mentions them...like how loud the car radio seems when we stop at redlights. His use of the 7 words had a reason, and that was to show that humankind made those words unacceptable. He was right, according to my linguistics professor. Most of the four letter words were medical terms from the Middle Ages. He was not a "blue" comedian in any of the shows I have seen.

The man was so very bright and full of wit. He will be missed. God rest his soul. (and I believe He will.)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I haven't seen much of George Carlin's material but I do remember watching old Johnny Carson clips with the "hippy dippy weatherman." Funny stuff!

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
I grew up with George Carlin's humor in the 70's, and he will be sorely missed. We need people like him, especially today, to save us from taking ourselves too seriously.

I hope he gets to meet and play with Sam at the Rainbow Bridge. Sam would appreciate his humor.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
2kids3cats4me said:
I haven't seen much of George Carlin's material but I do remember watching old Johnny Carson clips with the "hippy dippy weatherman." Funny stuff!
the weather for today is...dark RIP George
memories! I too will miss his comedy, I could so relate to his "Stuff" routine!

·
Super Moderator
26,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I believe tonight's SNL is a repeat of the very first show - which George Carlin hosted.

·
Super Moderator
26,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Someone sent this to me today: (some George Carlin rules)

New Rule: The more complicated the Starbucks order, the bigger the *-****. If you walk into a Starbucks and order a 'decaf grandee, half-soy, half-low fat, iced vanilla, double-shot, gingerbread cappuccino, extra dry, light ice, with one Sweet-n'-Low, and One NutraSweet,' ooooh, you're a huge arse.

New Rule: I'm not the cashier! By the time I look up from sliding my card, entering My PIN number, pressing 'Enter,' verifying the amount, deciding, no, I don't want Cash back, and pressing 'Enter' again, the kid who is supposed to be ringing me up is standing there eating my Almond Joy.

New Rule: Just because your tattoo has Chinese characters in it doesn't make you Spiritual. It's right above the ***** of your ****. And it translates to 'beef with broccoli.' The last time you did anything spiritual, you were praying to God you weren't pregnant. You're not spiritual. You're just high.

New Rule: Competitive eating isn't a sport. It's one of the seven deadly sins. ESPN Recently televised the U.S. Open of Competitive Eating, because watching those athletes at the poker table was just too darned exciting. What's next, competitive farting? Oh wait, they're already doing that. It's called 'The Howard Stern Show'

edit/Jeanie Sorry, George!

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Just got back to read this news. He was not a comedian, he was a truthteller (especially on issues most people wouldn't touch with a 10ft barge pole). A 100% class act that I discovered far too late.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts