Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gazoo probably thinks his name is Get Down since I've said it so many times.

Here's how it usually goes. He jumps up on the counters, I have to get up and walk over to him and tell him to get down. Simply saying "Get Down" in a stern voice doesn't work, I have to walk over and say it. This works about 2-3 times before he decides he's not getting down anymore. Then the squirt bottle comes out. The threat of the bottle works 1-2 times before he decides he doesn't care and jumps up agin.

I then have to say "Get Down" and grab him and put him back down on the floor. Sometimes I have to fish him out from behind the microwave. Over and over and over and over, every single day.

The frustration builds and after 8-9 times, I'm yelling at him. Right now he's locked in a back bedroom because I'm sick and tired of him doing this.

Most of the time he's a good cat, but this persistence in jumping on the counters and refusing to listen is really getting frustrating.

I've tried putting aluminum foil on the spots where he usually jumps up, it worked for a day and now he just walks right over it. The squirt bottle helps a bit. He'll usually jump down after getting squirted, but at this rate he's going to be soaked. I've tried playing with him when he does this and the other day he chased around a Da Bird - type toy for almost an hour and then went right back to the counter. He has a cat tree a few feet away and he loves it.

I don't know what else to do. Help!

·
Registered
84 Posts
My cat does the same thing, it's so frustrating! Nothing seems to keep her off the counters and I really don't want her up there! Looking forward to people's responses..

·
Registered
1,347 Posts

Right now he's locked in a back bedroom because I'm sick and tired of him doing this. Help!
Prison! Locking him up may be your best bet. It may take some more patience. I would suggest switching to one word as cats don't understand human language. When He jumps up. Say 'NO!' and immediately carry him off to the bedroom. He will then (hopefully) begin to associate jumping up with 'NO! and being isolated.

Will this work? I have no idea. You might also try adding, 'Bad cat!' as he's locked up. No toys.

If it works there will probably be times when he'll disobey anyway (attraction plus forgetfullness), but the problem may diminish.

One thing I did with Zenobi, although she only threatened to jump up, was to lift her up and let her see everything on the counter. Cats are curious about everything and just want to know.

I hope you can get something out of this. Luck.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
May I ask, WHY don't you want kitty on the counter?

I used to be all anal about them being up there but now I've just given up. I keep clorox wipes on hand to wipe the counter before I start cleaning I swab them down.

I don't keep any food stuffs on the counter (unless it is in a glass jar) so they can have at it. Now that there isn't anything UP there that is interesting they stay off for the most part (unless Book is surfing to make sure I cleaned up everything from cooking).

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
May I ask, WHY don't you want kitty on the counter?

I used to be all anal about them being up there but now I've just given up. I keep clorox wipes on hand to wipe the counter before I start cleaning I swab them down.

I don't keep any food stuffs on the counter (unless it is in a glass jar) so they can have at it. Now that there isn't anything UP there that is interesting they stay off for the most part (unless Book is surfing to make sure I cleaned up everything from cooking).
Several reasons, actually. We don't have enough cabinet space to always be able to put everything away & out of sight, so some food items have to remain out and on the counter by necessity. Second, and more importantly is that our stove has one of those smooth glass surfaces and I've seen him walk across it several times. I'm afraid that one time he's going to get up there while one of the burners is still warm and burn his paws.

·
Registered
239 Posts
why not just cover the hob's when they are still warm??? my oven stand's alone away from the counter & I have never see my cat's get up on the oven but I ALWAYS leave empty saucepan's on top of the ring's after using them just incase

it is natural for a cat to want to get up on high surfaces & imo wrong to punish them for doing so.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
It's not something I've ever been able to break so it was drive myself nuts, get rid of the cats, or just get over it and deal with them up there.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I know where you are coming from when it come to those glass cooktops. I've got one of them too and we have 2 young maine ***** that are curious about everything and want to help us in all aspects even cooking.

We just gave up on trying to keep them off the counters cuz it's pointless. Because guess where they are when no one is home? Yup, on the counters. So we just decided that they can come and go as they please. Eventually the novelty will wear off ...hopefully.
If we've used the stove, we try diligently to cool off the element(s) by placing a really sopping wet dish cloth on top briefly and/or place a pot with water over it. This way if they do walk on the stove, they won't have direct contact. So far no one has scalded or burned their paws in this household.
And of course, we always clean our counters with major disinfectant.

·
Super Moderator
26,657 Posts
It's a losing battle. Even if you can make your cat so scared of you they stay off when you're home, as soon as you leave, Gazoo is probably dancing on the counters and touching everything you own to celebrate.

If you have to leave food items on the counter, put them in an airtight container so he can't smell them or damage them.

My girls hang out on the counter while I'm cooking and/or doing the dishes. I love the company, and looking into their sweet faces and talking to them while I'm in the kitchen.

Embrace your counter-kitty!! :grin:

·
Registered
472 Posts
It is true. The only person you are driving nuts is yourself. You are fighting a losing battle, man. Use those Chlorox wipes before doing anything on the counter; just get into the habit now. What you should teach him is to not jump on the counter when YOU are using it. The best way to do that is to give him treats on the floor while you are busy with the counter and he will get the message that waiting on the floor is a nice thing to do.

I religiously put water in pots and set water filled pots on the range areas of the new glasstop cook stove. It does discourage the cats to not jump up on the range and it soothes my peace of mind the cats cannot accidently step on a hot stove top by accident. Over by the coffee pot, I have a one foot square area where I place a piece of plywood which has double sided sticky tape on it from end to end. I put this taped piece of plywood up on the counter to keep my one cat from pushing the coffee brewer off the counter. Timothy Patrick Tiger likes to mark the edges of the coffee brewer and invariably pushes it off the edge of the counter. I mounted a rail along the edge of the counter so it is not easy for Timmy to push off it off the counter, but he still goes after it and tries. So I put the plywood next to the coffee brewer, where Timmy has to stand in order to mark the brewer with his facial scent glands. After two times of getting his feet stuck on the very sticky tape, he stopped trying to mark the brewer. However, if I remove the taped plywood, he is up and pushing at it in a minute. So... The plywood and tape is a permanent fixture on my counter for these last 11 and a half years.... and counting.....

·
Registered
535 Posts
i dont know about how anyone else will feel about this but like 3 yrs ago we had 4 dogs 2 cats and no bedroom our bed was by the front door the place had a living room a dinning room and kitchen just not a real bedroom any ways my bf didnt want the animals on the bed so i got a scat mat it worked for both cats and dogs

·
Registered
43 Posts
It is a losing battle, but...
They can still learn not to be on the counters when you are using them, or when you are around.

Teach them the word "NO". They will learn it quickly. Don't yell it at them, just calmly say it and remove them from the counter. A spray gun works very well too, especially if you say NO and spray them at the same time, acting like you didn't really spray them.

Keep calm as much as you can; they don't mean to make you angry, they are just really curious and like being on high things. Getting angry just strains the relationship and their perception of you.

Cats definitely listen and learn. Wether or not they obey is sometimes up to them:fust
But they will meet you in the middle most of the time, if they like you.

You could even try having a special pad or place for them on the counter, and then say NO when they leave it. They are smart enough to know the difference between the pad and the rest of the counter.

It will seem like they don't get it at first, but they are just testing you. Eventually they decide it's not worth the hassle to go against you when you say NO, and they accept it (...somewhat). :wink:

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm one of those who has also had no luck with keeping cats off counters...in fact the cat who used not to jump up on them now also does it!

I have given up, except when I am preparing food, when I insist.

·
Banned
74 Posts
I can think of NOTHING more futile than trying to get a cat to stay off the counters. I don't even know why people bother - just let the cat jump wherever he/she wants to jump, and don't let it bother you. If you've got stuff on the counters which could get ... adversely affected ... by a cat, just keep it out of harm's way, like in an unreachable cabinet or something.

·
Super Moderator
26,657 Posts
Most importantly, keep your counters boring (if you can). My girls jump up, find nothing new, jump back down. I should clarify that when they're on the counter while I'm preparing food or doing dishes, we're separated by the double-sink. They know where they're supposed to stay while I'm doing stuff.

·
Banned
74 Posts
Several reasons, actually. We don't have enough cabinet space to always be able to put everything away & out of sight, so some food items have to remain out and on the counter by necessity. Second, and more importantly is that our stove has one of those smooth glass surfaces and I've seen him walk across it several times. I'm afraid that one time he's going to get up there while one of the burners is still warm and burn his paws.
Though I don't have a smooth stove surface, my cat can tell when the stove has been on recently (everything is hot) AND SHE STAYS AWAY FROM IT. I wouldn't let that worry you, even if the cat is dumb enough to walk over the surface once or twice when it is hot, he/she will quickly learn it's a dumb thing to do. Give the cat some credit, they're not that stupid.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Ssscat is a good deterrent to scare most cats off, and it has the benefit that it works when you're not in the kitchen. Works well for cats that like to scratch at a closed bedroom door too.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Innotek-SSSCAT-Cat-Training-Aid/dp/B000RIA95G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342928942&sr=8-1&keywords=ssscat+automated+cat+deterrent[/ame]

·
Registered
336 Posts
I can think of NOTHING more futile than trying to get a cat to stay off the counters. I don't even know why people bother -
I agree, if cats on the counter is my biggest problem in life I'm doing pretty well!

Mine know not to come up while I'm preparing food, and I'm happy with that. A quick wipedown before use is very simple habit to get into.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ssscat is a good deterrent to scare most cats off, and it has the benefit that it works when you're not in the kitchen. Works well for cats that like to scratch at a closed bedroom door too.

http://www.amazon.com/Innotek-SSSCA...r=8-1&keywords=ssscat+automated+cat+deterrent

That gizmo looks interesting. Do you have personal experience with it?

I'd kind of like to have a discipline win round here! I have my first two Cornish Rexes and, while I am now addicted to the breed, they are the stubbornest, most resistant to behavioural strategies I have ever come near. At least my previous cats have had the decency to keep off the benches when I was actually present!

Are the cats in your avatar yours? They look lovely.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
I tried the scat. Shepherd figured out to knock it on the floor by racing up and whacking it off the counter. Then he'd just go about his business up there.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.