Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I haven't posted ina long time but that's the down fall to being a vet student. So little time for anything but studying.

I have a question for all of you. I adopted my first cat this December. I LOVE her to death! She is currently 10 months old. My fear is that when I start rotations in a year, she's going to be quite lonely. Unfortunately in most rotations, I will be a slave to the vet on that rotation. It will be a lot of long hours. She is currently an only cat.

I am seriously contemplating adopting a kitten this summer as a companion to her when I'm not around. I also need to find a way to convince my hubby that Mistletoe needs a friend.

Do you guys think she'll be fine without a companion? Or do you think it would be better that I adopted a kitten this summer for a playmate for her and me :)

Thanks!
Deirdre

·
Registered
147 Posts
I absolutely think 2 kitties are better than 1. And I think your current cat is young enough to make the adjustment fairly easily as long as they are properly introduced. You should go for it!

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I had 2 cats briefly....I did not really notice any difference as far as
more cat food or litter! It is best to do it now while Mistletoe is young.

Just from my experience...my cats never got along and had a spraying contest that lasted for 6 months before I surrendered the new cat.
These cats were 3-5 years of age! Bosco is an only cat kind of guy!

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
sunshine9 said:
Now how do I convince my hubby that we need another kitty :D
If you figure this one out, let me know! I've convinced Justin that cats aren't evil, but I don't think he likes the idea of being outnumbered by them. :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
It's twice the love! If anything, you should tell him that it's better to have 2 kitties b/c they'll play with eachother and never get lonely when you're at work... and if all else fails, 2 kitties means one for each of you!

My kittens are the best of friends, and are very good at amusing eachother when I'm working. And late at night, if they feel like playing, they'll go play while my bf and I go to sleep -- and therefore don't bother us :)

If your kitten is a female, get a male... or vice versa -- and make sure both are fixed. That way, it'll be a cute pair and you'll love watching them groom eachother and cuddle up to eachother :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts