Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Okay, so, I haven't had a cat in the longest time..
In about 4 years, actually.. and it wasn't even an indoor cat.
All my past cast were outdoor cats, so..

I just wanted to know a list of what items I may need for my upcoming kitty?
Is there anything special I should do, anything I should look out for, anything I should expect?

Thanks in general! :kittyturn

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I read your other post where you said you are going to keep the cat in you bedroom, so I would suggest getting something for the cat to climb (like a cat tree, shelves, maybe a window seat) otherwise you will have a cat messing with all the stuff on your dresser (might do that anyways lol). You will need a litterbox with some kind of mat to put underneath to catch extra litter, food/water dishes with another mat or tray to put under that, and some basic toys (mice, crinkle balls, cat-nip toys). I wouldn't buy any expensive toys until you know what the cat you adopt likes.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Oh, and I forgot to mention, if you think you will be limited on space for a long time, I would not recommend getting a kitten or large/athletic breed.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yes, I do have plenty of fun things for it to do!
I plan on getting a small, slender type. My room is about 16x16 feet or bigger.
So it's not that small, so it will have tons of running and climbing and romp space!
I still need to get a litter and foot tray mat.. I gotta remember that next time.

Also, I haven't bought any toys yet, because I figured I'd try shoe laces and such first to see if it likes those,
and I also bought it a playing-cube, that has a scratching post and such.

·
Super Moderator
26,492 Posts
You might want to hold off on the shoe laces, some cats will eat them. They don't know any better.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
You'll also need a carrier, both to bring the cat home and to take him/her to the vet and other places. You should also start looking around for a good vet, if you don't already have one from before. Happy shopping and happy cat searching!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
It won't look great, but what I've started using as a litter mat is 1/2 of a cheap egg carton (like a bed mat for camping). It's really big so I can sit the litter box right on top of it, and the deeper egg carton grooves really catch the litter well. I had one of the little litter "foot" mats, but it hardly caught anything, especially if my cats decided to start digging in there.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, really? I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the egg cartons though, could you take a picture and show me? :D Thank you for the info though, Kris!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Oops, it's called an egg crate not egg carton. It looks like this, but mine is blue & firmer (cheaper because its not soft foam).

I cut a twin sized one in half (across the width) and placed it under the litter box. The divots are deep enough that the litter doesn't escape them too often :D

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh wow, nice! I'll have to find some of that if I have a problem with the litter.
Thank you, Kris! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts