Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had some problems with my cat which is 1 1/2 years old. She hisses and growls at my nieces. I think she is jealous because she doesn't have my full attention when they are over. She is always trying to get our attention. We play with her all the time and give her treats but that doesn't seam like it's enough. I was thinking of getting a friend for her. I was thinking it would be best to get a cat about her age as I fear she may hurt a kitten. However, someone had mentioned that I should get a kitten as her mother instinct would come out and take care of the kitten. I was just wondering if anyone had any experiences regarding this. I do not want to get another kitten and upset her but I also do not want her to feel lonely.

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
If you do get a cat make sure you introduce them properly so they have time to adjust and it's a good idea to seperate them for a few days before introducing. Let us know if you do get another kitty! :lol:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think it's great to add more cats into a home. Goodness knows they need homes! However, make sure you're doing it for the right reasons. Get another because you want one, not because you think she needs the company. If you think she's possesive of your neices, just think how possesive she'll be over another cat. It's important to get to the root of the problem. I think adding another might be a bit of a band-aid solution.
Take time to notice how your neices treat the cat. She may be growling for good reason;in her eyes, they may be a perceived immediate threat. What are their ages? Are they old enough to know when to keep their distance, to not grab tail, to recognize body language, etc.? It may just be a matter of education, especially seeing as though your cat is so specific in her dislike, aiming it just at them.

Best,
Jackson

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At first I thought it was my nieces. But then I told them to leave her alone. Not to corner her or play with her toys as they were her toys. My nieces are 6 and 3. They did really good and just talked to her and gave her treats. I told them we needed to be nice to her as she was scared.
The events of her getting aggressive was the cat. For ex. I watched the 6 yr old over night. Sat. the cat was totally fine. The next morning I went in the room and the next thing I know my cat is cornering my niece who was on the computer playing a game. She was hissing and growling. The other time was I was dressing the 3 yr. old after a bath. Her back was towards the cat and I didn't say anything as I wanted to see what the cat was going to do.... the next thing I know she scratched her. I am fine with one cat. But I was only thinking of another if she was lonely as I want her to be happy.

Thanks for your suggestions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts