Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riots fur on his shoulders is a bit sparse and his skin is dry and flaky. I want to start him on Vitamin E and Fish oil but he will not touch anything the oil is mixed into. Ive tried kibble, canned, raw, tuna...nothing. The pill is to large to shove down his throat so I emptied both caps into a spoon and sucked it into a syringe and opened his yap and squirted it in. Surely there has to be a better way?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Poor guy! Fortunately I've never had a problem with giving kitty fish oil, he either doesn't seem to notice it, or doesn't care. What kind of oil are you feeding him? I've been using Ascenta Feline Omega 3 and it's been smooth sailing.

Maybe put the oil on his paws and have him lick it off on his own?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its to much oil to put on his paws it would end up all over. I use a human one. Why was the title of my thread changed...

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
If you're giving him two entire human gelcaps of vit E and fish oil, it sounds to me like you're giving him waaaaaay too much. I poke a hole in one end of a human fish oil gelcap and squeeze three drops on each cat's meal once daily. Also, you should NEVER squirt oil directly into a cat's mouth. If he aspirates that oil into his lungs instead of swallowing it properly, you could end up with a very sick or very dead cat.

There are fish oils that are specially processed to make them almost tasteless and very low odor. Look for one of them for your cat if he is put off by the smell or taste of regular fish oil.

Laurie

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you're giving him two entire human gelcaps of vit E and fish oil, it sounds to me like you're giving him waaaaaay too much. I poke a hole in one end of a human fish oil gelcap and squeeze three drops on each cat's meal once daily. Also, you should NEVER squirt oil directly into a cat's mouth. If he aspirates that oil into his lungs instead of swallowing it properly, you could end up with a very sick or very dead cat.

There are fish oils that are specially processed to make them almost tasteless and very low odor. Look for one of them for your cat if he is put off by the smell or taste of regular fish oil.

Laurie
Im giving him 1 fish oil pill and 1 Vitamin E. Not two. From what I gathered online one of each was plenty.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
the 2 kitties we've had had both LOVED the smell of the fish oil luckily. we just use the human pills - poke a hole at one end of the gelcap like laurief said and put just a few drops on her food and mix it in. she can't get enough of it!

maybe if you also put a little warm water on the food it will be more enticing as well. if your kitty likes tuna, it seems like he'd like salmon?

we spoil our kitty by mixing canned pumpkin with boiling water, THEN mixing it all up with her wet food and then dripping the salmon oil on it. maybe give that a try?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine is on 90% canned food he only gets kibble at night. Same for the kitten. I tried some seagreens powder on him tonight and he ate it. Its similar to the petkelp so I will try that out for a month

·
Super Moderator
26,657 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mine refuse to eat anything that has fish oil on it. One of mine has really bad flaky skin but her fur is nice and shiny so I tried supplementing extra oil. Nope. The food just went down the drain. Maybe try a drop or two of vegetable or olive oil?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts

Laurie
^^^this. check the mg. on the salmon oil, they only need 1,000 mg. per three-four lbs. of food, so that's only about 2-3 drops an ounce, and only 60 drops of vitamin e for the same amount of food (1-2 drops), so it's possible that's just too much oil on the food. try cutting it way down and see what happens.

also, the aspiration danger is very real. never try to give mineral oil or vitamin oil to a cat orally* because if the cat aspirates it's like drunk puking when you're lying on your face--you either die or get pneumonia.

*so what are your alternatives? rectally? topically? lol i wouldn't try rectally because i don't like being clawed, and topically, i'm not sure. i use vitamin e oil topically so maybe that works, maybe it doesn't. like someone else said, you can try a few drops of olive oil in food and see.

p.s. i got nature's bounty unscented salmon oil (people) on sale, bogo for 12.19.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What about giving him a food that has fish mixed in with another protein? I buy these pouches called Platefulls and my cats have amazing fur and skin now. There’s one flavor called Chicken & Salmon and also one we get with Cod, Chicken, Sole & Shrimp. They love them and based on their appearance, there’s a lot of vitamins and omegas to keep them looking great. I get them at Petco and Natural Balance makes them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts