Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from taking Maleke to the vet about his eye (the vet gave me the SAME eye drops that I already have for him.......!). Anyways, he said that Maleke is trying to be overweight...haha. He is 9 pounds, and just over a year old. He doesn't look overweight at all, but the vet said he can feel extra around his ribs and under his arms.

I free feed my cats Felidae dry during the day, and they get an ounce and a half of wet every night. Can anyone suggest a better schedule? Maybe the Felidae is too high in fat for them now? What is a lower fat still first grade dry food? I would feed them an all wet diet, but I'm not sure I can afford it.....maybe I could......anyway.... Thanks!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Do you measure out the dry food or just fill their bowls when they're empty? You could either measure out the dry (if you're not already) or just feed one meal dry rather than leaving it out all day and then the canned at night.

California Natural is a dry food with less fat (16%) and calories (393 kcal/cup).

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Maleke, you have not been paying attention! :evil:

Do not free feed dry food. That is the very best way to put a lot of weight on a cat quickly. Cut back the dry food to less than 50% of his diet (maximum; less is better); feed dry only on a meal schedule (30-60 minutes a.m. and p.m.), and increase the canned food.

What you can't afford is the health problems that can develop later: FLUTD, arthritis, diabetes. An investment in good food now while he's young will pay big dividends in the *lack* of huge vet bills later!

Now, for your refresher course, please read the following articles in the library (http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library):
Feline Obesity
Why Cats Need Canned Food

There will be a quiz later! :wink:

BTW, eye drops don't store well; a fresh bottle is advisable.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haha, I KNOW I should be feeding all wet....I have been paying attention! BUT, it's expensive! And when you are a university student, it's pretty hard. However, I am going to transfer to an all wet diet starting tomorrow. You are right Dr Jean, I do not want any health problems in the future! I will give them a TINY bit of dry before bed every night because they love it....but not enough to really count. Breakfast and dinner will now be wet with nothing in between. I work at a pet store and get great discounts for now......so that will definately help! I feed all good brands such as Wellness, Felidae, Nutro, Eagle. Neither of my cats are noticeably overweight, but my vet said he could feel a bit extra around Maleke's ribs. Since I don't want fat cats, I will switch them now before it's too late! Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts