Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All! The SLOW transition of Buddy into our yard and, so far, our garage for short periods of time is working real well. Buddy wasn't nearly as terrified of being in the garage today as he was yesterday. After about 20 minutes he got a little nervous but not freaked like before, so we made him stay in there (I was there too) and then put him back in the yard. Also, he figured out the litter box today too, which I was happy about.

Anyway, things are going great with him. He's still not allowed into the house until after the snip-snip but he has been hanging out in our backyard all day long except for a short period when he went bird hunting late this morning to early afternoon. We now know where he's doing that too. It's in a grove of trees not far from our house at all (maybe 200 feet) and he doesn't have to cross a street or anything to get over there so we're happy about that.

The problem I'm having now is that George and Herbie are starting to give hubby and I the cold shoulder when we come in from visiting Buddy. ESPECIALLY George! He really wants nothing to do with us, except to remind us that it's feeding time. Herbie will still talk to hubby and I but when it comes to outside time he still stands at the fence line and looks at Buddy and growls in disgust and George will have nothing to do with him. Just as a reminder, Buddy goes outside our fence line when G and H go out to play, so don't worry...we haven't put them "together" yet. That's WAY later!

Since we've never had experience with this before, can anyone tell me if this is a normal thing for resident cats to go through and do they generally come around after "in-house" introductions start happening, or is this a sign that it's going to be World War III inside the house when Buddy comes to stay.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Some cats just like other cats. Some cats don't. You can't predict how the introduction process will go, but at least you have two cats (each used to living with another cat) and not just a single, set-in-her-ways cat that might never accept a new cat.

Cats are very territorial, and I think it's natural for them to growl at cats encroaching on their space. Pfeffa ALWAYS hissed at the cats that would visit us on the porch (she's hissing at our new cat now) but Norville was so happy to have the visitors and would have gotten along with any cat. It depends on their personalities.

As for the cold shoulder, some cats do that too. You might want to wash your hands after you are with Buddy, and be sure to give them lots of play time and loving (especially in clothing you haven't been with Buddy in - less of a reminder :wink: ), stick with their little routines, especially after the "in-house" intros start, and all will be okay (eventually).

·
Registered
368 Posts
I know when I first brought Jazz home Otis would have nothing to do with me for about a week - he even stopped sleeping on my bed and givingmy those kisses I love so much :( Anyway, once he was more accustomed to Jazz, he came back to his mom too - now I get kisses from both at the same time . My advice is give them time. Once they're not so threatened, it'll be back to normal.... :p

1 - 3 of 3 Posts