Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow I am going to start day 1 of getting them on a feeding schedule.
As of now they get 1.5 cans of Wellness Core a day so 3/4 a can each or close to it as they share their food bowl. We feed breakfast, lunch and dinner with the canned
(1/2 a can at each meal) and leave dry Wellness Core out as a free feed during the day. Sadly I am unsure how much they are eating of the dry food exactly. I don't sit and watch the bowl all day and I CAN tell you Sasha has put on weight this month and Bentley has developed an addiction to cat food lol

I do try and keep their food separate but honestly ~ accidents happen. I put 1/2 cup of dry in their bowl a day and its all gone by evening.

I have read that free feeding is best for young kittens but about week 15 they need to start getting on a schedule so here we are attempting day 1.

I want them off of the dry so tomorrow I am not going to put any down.
I am not sure if I should just do it all at once ~ pick up the dry and feed the canned 2 times a day just to get it over with or if I should do it slowly.
They are healthy kittens and are not in any danger of starving lolol

So should I do it more slowly over a few weeks or just go for it and get it over with so they are quicker to get used to the schedule? I am thinking that by tomorrow evening that might have a decent appetite and will finish their canned off and get used to it faster that way.

I am also not positive how much I need to feed them this way. I know it would be easier if they didn't share a bowl but that is out of the question... we have tried but both are bonded and get upset if they are split up at meal time and refuse to eat because they are more worried about their sister.

Wellness Core canned says that kittens should get 2 cans a day. That would be 4 cans a day for them. I have always found the feeding guidelines to be way overboard with Wellness. Example would be my Golden ~ it says he should get 5 cups a day but I give him 2 cups and limit snacks as much as possible and he is 10lbs overweight and on a diet right now.

Sorry to ramble ... you should be my hubby trying to follow my thought process in an oral conversation LOLOLOL

My PLAN (I think unless someone has better for me)
breakfast: 1/2 a can between the two as I know that is all they will eat
no lunch and no dry ~ I get to play mean "starve the grandkittes" grandma
Dinner: 1 can and see how much they eat. If they eat it all in a decent amount of time I will add another half a can and go from there.

The next day breakfast I will give them 1 full can for breakfast and 1 full can at dinner but monitor closely how fast they finish their food. If they finish it quickly I will add more.

Sound like a good plan? anyone have suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
26,810 Posts
No lunch???? All day is too long for kittens to go without food if you're home all day. I know those of us who work have no choice in the matter, but since you're home, I'm not sure why this is the plan.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
I don't they're old enough to go without lunch. 15 weeks is still relatively young. I'd wait to put them on a schedule until they're at least 8 months old (32 weeks).

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, thanks. I wasn't really sure if it would be too hard on them. From reading, it says 15 weeks should be fed twice a day. I am not against feeding them 3x but just was following directions lol

I guess I will just have to judge how fast they are finishing their food and maybe add more at breakfast and dinner but keep it at 1/2 a can for lunch and still take them off the dry.

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
Definitely 3 meals spaced about 8 hours apart...I do this even with adult cats.

A can and a half (each) a day is probably enough for them, maybe a little more.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I agree it's too soon to drop down to two meals a day. Kittens need more food while they are growing. I think it's a good idea to cut back on the dry.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Definitely 3 meals spaced about 8 hours apart...I do this even with adult cats.

A can and a half (each) a day is probably enough for them, maybe a little more.
Breakfast and lunch is complete. I did offer a full can for both kits at each meal (using the 1.5 cans a day each meaning 3 cans a day, 1 for each meal) they might have eaten half, or less. I left the canned food out for an hour. I have not put down their dry ~ I think Bentley might be mad at me due to this lol

I have noticed my boys (and hubby!) giving little freeze dried treats to all pets today. I always have liver, salmon and chicken freeze dried on hand in my treat container. I normally don't keep watch over treats but today I have been and WOW my pets are gorging on freeze dried stuff ~ no wonder Bentley is overweight and Sasha never eats very much and now the kits aren't eating all they are supposed to! Five people in the house is a LOT of folks who like to sneak a treat to my 4 legged babies :?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts