Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any tricks out there to get your cat to eat. His health made a turn for the worse just recently (he's almost 18 years old). He has gone blind and won't eat or drink. The vet says that he may be in shock from loosing his sight and may come around, but that just hasn't been happening. I feel bad because he has to be very hungry by now, but he just won't eat. I've even tried tuna fish, put it right up to his nose and he just isn't interested. Same with his water bowl.

·
Super Moderator
26,801 Posts
I'm surprised your vet isn't more concerned. He really needs a trip back to see a vet, even if it's not this one. If he's also not drinking water, he needs to see someone now. Tonight. If it is his time, this would be a horrible way to go, starving to death.

You can try baby food to entice him, but only the ones with no garlic and no onion, like Gerber 2nd Foods.

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
18 is like 90 in cat years, how long since he last ate or drank?
He needs to eat or his body will start to shut down.
You need a vet that understands geriatric cats.
It might be time and if it is you need to make the decision that he can't make for himself, if necessary you have to do what best for your friend not what's easy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He hasn't eaten much for the past few days. I know he has not eaten anything since we were at the vet yesterday. I did get him to drink a little water just now, but I had to really force it on him. He just keeps fighting me and goes and puts his head in the corner. The vet does understand the age of the cat, and said if he won't start eating and drinking again then I would have to make a decision this weekend. I was just seeing if anyone had any tricks to get them to eat and drink even if they don't really want to. I tried the catnip just now also, and he didn't want anything to do with it. I wonder if he can't smell either. I'm not what you would consider a "cat person", but I do like animals, and I have had him his whole life. It is just breaking my heart seeing him like this.

·
Super Moderator
26,801 Posts
Once Cinderella stopped wanting to eat, I knew it was time to let her go. Such a heartbreaking decision, but it was the kindest thing to do She was only 7 years old.

I'm so sorry you're going through this. :patback

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
The following links will provide you with a lot of tips, tricks, and techniques for getting food into your cat:

Tanya's Comprehensive Guideto Feline Chronic Renal Failure - Persuading Your Cat to Eat
AssistFeed.com: Advice to help a sick cat who will not eat

Your vet can also teach you how to administer subQ fluids at home to keep your cat hydrated. This is extremely important, as dehydration can have devastating effects on your cat's body (esp. aged kidneys), and can cause inappetance, among other problems. The following link demonstrates the proper technique for subQ fluid administration:

Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Renal Failure - Fluid Therapy

Did your vet run blood tests on your cat to determine the state of his kidneys, thyroid, and other body systems? If not, I strongly recommend you have those tests run so that you will know how to proceed with appropriate management of your cat's medical concerns. Blood tests will help point you toward potential causes of his inappetance. If you know what's causing the inappetance, you can better address the problems.

With an elderly cat like yours, I would assume that he has some degree of renal insufficiency. This makes it likely that he's dehydrated (a common side effect of renal failure) and constipated (a common side effect of dehydration). Both dehydration and constipation can cause a cat to feel very ill and inappetant, but both conditions can be treated effectively with fluids and meds.

If you have had blood tests run on your cat, it would be very helpful if you would post the results here so that we could offer you more relevant insights and guidance.

Laurie

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the links, I will check them out. Yes, he has had blood tests and they came back fine. They couldn't do a urine test because they said his bladder was too small and they didn't want to hurt him trying to get a needle in. He is not grooming or licking his paws at all, so I don't think putting food on it will work.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Do you have the blood test results that you can post here so we can take a look? Without seeing the test results, we don't know exactly what was and wasn't tested.

As far as his sight is concerned, acute, sudden blindness is often the result of uncontrolled hypertension. If your cat's blindness occurred suddenly and very recently as a result of hypertension, it might possibly be reversible with immediate medical treatment.

Laurie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts