Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am soooooooooooooooooo excited!!! I am getting braces on Febuary 16th(well, technically signing the contract paperwork&making the whole payment of $4,000)

I wish my parents got them for me when I was younger(I am 25)

I will finally be proud of my smile-- I am always too embarrassed to smile with teeth showing

I know most people are embarrased by braces--- NOT ME--- I will be smiling SOOOOOO WIDE everyone will know what I have going on

I am not looking forward to the first stages-- my dentist said he may have to pull 2 teeth, because I have wayyyyyyyyyyyy too much overcrowding-- & my jaw is too small for the teeth I have! Ick I HATE TEETH EXTRACTIONS! Just had my Wisdom teeth pulled December 12th--- had open socket on #17 & #32 + found out I am allergic to Hydrocodone-

Anyone out there want to tell me about your (positive) braces experience? What should I expect in the begining?

·
Registered
505 Posts
i never had braces (i'm blessed with straight, even teeth) but my best friend did. she hated them. she always had sores in her mouth from where the ends of the wires dug into her cheeks, and when they tightened the wires, it hurts.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I got braces around October, actually got the top ones then a few weeks later got the bottoms. Just to let ya know I am 26. When I got the top ones on it felt so weird. I did swell a little and it hurt at first. Make sure that you have the wax they give you on hand at all times!! When they put the bottoms ones on it was alot better. The only problem I had with the bottoms is the little hook at the last tooth that would irriate me. You will get sores in your mouth and I use just over the counter stuff and it helps.

They say don't eat certain foods, well I have learned, hee hee, that you can eat just about anything and have your tooth brush on hand. I wouldn't eat anything to hard. They say chips are a big no-no, I eat them all the time. I haven't tried caramel, gummy bears, or anything like that. I am afraid too!!

I have had mine for about 4 months now and my teeth are almost straight. They move really fast. My top teeth weren't too bad but my bottoms were really crowded. They are almost straight.

I love my braces but it will take awhile to get used to them. When I got my wires tightened it bothered me for like a day and that's it. Good luck with them and if you have any more questions I will be happy to answer them!!

Jamie

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I'm planning to get them. I was going to go in first of the year, but with the move, it's been pushed back. Once we get settled into a routine in our new city, I will go in and get them put on. I'm really dreading it, but I keep telling myself that they sooner I get them on, the sooner they can come off. I'm 25, so it's time to get the ball rolling.

I hope I don't have to have any more teeth pulled! I had my wisdom teeth out last Nov., and it was a horrible process. I do have a lot of crowding/overlapping on the bottom, though. :(

·
Registered
539 Posts
I had them when i was younger and it was horriable. I already had weak teeth from a childhood sickness and it turned out that the cement they used on my teeth to secure the braces dissolved my teeth because i was allergic to it. I have to have so much dental work now its not even funny. I've already had 6 teeth corrected but I have 6 more to go and 3 extractions (two of those are remaining wisdom teeth- one tooth that there's hardly anything left cause of a bracket the orthodontist put on to widen my jaw). I was tortured when i was 12-13 and 14. Since you said you were allergic to hydrocodone make sure there is nothing else you are allergic to before they start with the cementing! other than the wires and the jaw widdening it wasn't to terriably bad....but i wish i could sue the orthodontist, they should have tested me before they used anything, but i can't its been too long, over ten yrs and not sure if he is in practice anymore. good thing i have a great dentist now who has tested me for everything under the sun when it comes to dental work! hope this hasn't scared you or anything, just my experience with them!

~bekki and daizy~

·
Registered
917 Posts
i've had so much work done in mouth, it's not even funny. they actually had to widen the roof of my mouth before i got braces, so they glued this thing to my teeth, and we had to turn it with a key every night. (i was in like, 3rd grade at this point.) they told me it wouldn't hurt. the first time my dod turned that key, i SCREAMED. i mean, it basically seperated the top of my mouth. after that it didn't hurt though.

anyway, then i got braces, which really weren't that bad. the wax comes in handy for those pokey places, and i didn't pay any attention to the do not eat list. just be careful, and if it's getting sticky, sometimes you gotta pick it out with your fingers. but changing the wires isn't bad, just annoying.gettign them off is weird, i was a fraid a tooth was going to come off with the bracket!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I got my braces about 2 years after all of the "cool kids" had theirs, but I was still happy to have them because, as I grew up, I developed "Vampire Teeth." My two eye teeth were stuck up above my other teeth, so it looked like I had fangs. :) I was really self-conscious about my smile and would often cover my mouth when I laughed.

I got mine when I was 15 and got them off in about a year and a half. I remember the sores on the inside of my mouth from my skin rubbing on the metal, but that didn't happen often. I also remember being worried about eating in public because of the food getting stuck in the braces.

All in all, though, even today, I'm still happy my parents were able to get them for me. I also had to get 2 teeth pulled to let my eye teeth drop down. Make sure whoever pulls your teeth does a good job, though, because I had to have a root canal a few years ago, for an abcess that they thought could have been due to the job the dentist did on pulling those teeth!

Make sure to keep your teeth and around the brackets clean! I still spots on certain teeth from not brushing and flossing as often as I should have. One day, when we're making the big bucks, I think I'll get veneers put on my teeth!

·
Registered
505 Posts
i am just now getting my wisdom teeth in, just on the top. there's enough room for them, but because they're not coming in on the bottom too, and there's nothing for the top ones to rub against, i will need to get them pulled. yay.......

·
Registered
917 Posts
lolakitty had a very good point on brushing and flossing. i didn't floss as well as i should have, and as a result, my gums were swollen, in the very very early stages of gum disease. i've actually had gum surgery twice to cut them back. super fun, let me tell you that.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Congrats! I need braces too!

When I was a kid (living in East Europe) they screwed up my teeth. The dentistry was terrible there! They would drill your teeth without any pain killer (injection)- so basically, everytime I went to dentist I was in pain! I hated going to the dentists!

Anyways, they didn't fix my teeth properly and when I came to Canada all the dentists told me to get braces. I just don't have the money right now.... :(

So, once I get them, I will be so happy!!! :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I went today to get my last filling--- I had to get 5 numbing shots.. even then I wasn't numb-- just tingly--- the last shot he hit a nerve & instinctively I grabbed the dentist arm! I don't even remember doing it!!! He lectured me about how that is a no-no& I could cause the needle tip to break under the gums& have to go to the hospital if you're not careful... EEKKK!!!!!
Ugggg--- this was the first time I actually felt THE WHOLE ORDEAL--- he says I must be building a tolerance to the numbing med.s -- he wanted to stop & wait till tomorrow to put me to sleep-- but I begged him not to---which is pretty brave for a big whiny baby(me)
Each time I have gone in, it takes more and more injections of the numbing medicine-- & each time he asks if I have high blood pressure(was explained to me people with high blood pressure can affect the way numbing med.s work.....

but today was the first time they went through a list(they are stumped why I am not responding to the meds)-- l

Like do I take: Anti depressants? [no]
Anti anxiety meds? [no]
Did I drink coffee? [no]
Do I smoke? [no]
Do I drink caffeinated beverages? -YES-
I admitted to being addicted Diet coke-- so my dentist theory is I drink too much caffeine(affects way body reacts to numb med.s) & the way my teeth are SOOOOOOO crooked on the bottom makes it difficult for the meds to do their job

whatever!
-----------------------------------------------

I also asked him about when they plan to do the extractions, & he said first he wants to put the brackets on-- then slowly put on the thin wires on the bottom-- start straightening them right away--- he wants to then pull #5 & #12... I then asked if this would hurt as much as the wisdom teeth extraction-- and he promised it won't-- if anything not hurt as much as brackets & wires cutting --ick. I am a big baby!!!!! I guess I should stock up on tylenol now!
------------------------------------------------
Oh yeah-- I feel like a big kid--- I am actually looking forward to picking out my band colors
He said I will have 20 colors to choose from!

·
Registered
39 Posts
The best part of my trip is picking out the colors!! So far I have had hot pink, two shades of blue every other tooth(not to cute) and now I have lavender. I thought about getting just a different color on each bracket but didn't know how stupid that would look!! :roll: I probably will end up doing it though!!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
update to braces

Well... my dentist office has dragged their butts getting my braces on..... kept having to redo the molds, and x-rays(stupid tech was messing up)

They put in spacers between my back teeth. Didn't hurt AT ALL going in-- just felt weird........ then later on(in the evening) it really really hurts-Not fun to bite down on anything---even my front teeth hurt--- I guess this is what I get to look forward to for the next 24 months!!!

Next week they will be putting in even bigger spacers in the back---- I wish they waited until they pulled the teeth(that are getting pulled cause of overcrowding)--- the spacers are putting pressure on my front teeth too--- causing them to get EVEN MORE CROOKED!---
my dentist changed his mind and decided I need 4 teeth pulled-2 on top- 2 on bottom----- will be getting that done in 2 weeks--- can hardly wait
I think my brackets are being put on next week-- but with my dentist-- he changes his mind a lot---- I didn't even know about the spacers until yesterday(was under the impression brackets were going on!!!)

Anyone else out there have to get spacers?????????????
Is this the same kind of pain as getting braces adjusted?

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Re: update to braces

JackieT said:
Well... my dentist office has dragged their butts getting my braces on..... kept having to redo the molds, and x-rays(stupid tech was messing up)

They put in spacers between my back teeth. Didn't hurt AT ALL going in-- just felt weird........ then later on(in the evening) it really really hurts-Not fun to bite down on anything---even my front teeth hurt--- I guess this is what I get to look forward to for the next 24 months!!!

Next week they will be putting in even bigger spacers in the back---- I wish they waited until they pulled the teeth(that are getting pulled cause of overcrowding)--- the spacers are putting pressure on my front teeth too--- causing them to get EVEN MORE CROOKED!---
my dentist changed his mind and decided I need 4 teeth pulled-2 on top- 2 on bottom----- will be getting that done in 2 weeks--- can hardly wait
I think my brackets are being put on next week-- but with my dentist-- he changes his mind a lot---- I didn't even know about the spacers until yesterday(was under the impression brackets were going on!!!)

Anyone else out there have to get spacers?????????????
Is this the same kind of pain as getting braces adjusted?

Spacers hurt me worse than getting my braces tightened. Also, I didn't have teeth pulled; I opted for what's called a tandem and then headgear (wish I hadn't gone through THAT). I also had overcrowding of my teeth but they gave me the option to not have any pulled. Looking back on things, I wish I had chosen to have them pulled instead.

When your teeth start moving, expect all of them to feel rubbery. Also, ibuprofen was my best friend on tightening days to diminish the soreness.

Good luck with everything!!! :D

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have never had braces I think I probably need them I have an over bite... nothing to noticeable.. I have little teeth but I asked my hubby abut the time he had braces ad he was like PAIN LOTS A PAIN... he said migraines were the worset problem he hd with them but after it was done he sid he loved the idea of having a healthier straightier smile. SO GOOD LUCK WITH THEM AND I HOPE YOU HAVE GOOD EXPERIENCES WITH THEM.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, I have been talking to others[in my family that have had braces]... many agree--- that I have been "brave" with my pain from the spacers----

The pain is much less today--- but then, it is still early in the day----

I stocked up on jello, pudding, yogurt---- in anticipation of the bigger spacers to be put in Thursday
(My skinny pants fit---- yeyyyyyyyy size 5!!!!)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts