Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My beloved 17 year old cat recently passed away. For the last 6 months of her life she took to peeing on certain areas of the carpet. I have been using a black light and an enzymatic cleaner to clean the affected areas—really saturating the areas using a sprinkling can to apply. It seems to be working on the odor, yet I'm sure there's still cat urine lurking underneath.

I would like to get another cat in the future. I'm terrified that the new cat will still smell the urine and start marking the carpet. At this point, getting new carpet isn't an option. Maybe another cat just isn't in the cards. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
A few suggestions for the carpet...you might want to rent a steam cleaner and thoroughly clean the spots with it (just plain water, no chemicals) and then use the enzyme cleaner again. Do that a few times. Second (and this will depend on the size of your room and how the carpet is affixed)...but would it be possible to temporarily take up the carpet and treat (or replace) the relevant areas of the underpadding...and then re-lay the carpet? If so, then I'd also consider that. Finally, would it be possible to re-arrange furniture and the like so as to effectively cover up all or some of the affected areas? If so, you might consider doing that.

All that said, I wouldn't automatically assume that any new cat will start peeing on the carpet because your former cat did. I haven't had any experience with my cats peeing outside the litter box, but from what I've read on the Forum, a number of other members have. These members often have more than one cat...and even though one of their cats pees on the carpet, typically their other cats don't follow suit. So, the odor in the carpet doesn't necessarily cause the other cats to also stop using the litterbox.

·
Registered
144 Posts
As long as you don't get an un-neutered male, I doubt you'll have any issues w/marking. If you haven't already, use an enzyme cleaner and shampoo like Susan suggested.

I'm sorry about your loss, I know it's tough. We lost ours last fall. Getting a new kitten really helped us get through a lot of the sadness that was dwelling.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, Maggie and Susan, for the advice. I can't imagine not having a cat in my life. I was considering cleaning or replacing the padding. I'm was going to go over the spots again, but will try steam cleaning first.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts