Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I TRIED (I really did!) to make the switch to all wet. But the thing is, my cats will NOT eat a whole 3oz can of food at one time. Also, once they have eaten the wet food, they will sit there and BEG for dry food. I feel SO bad denying them that. So then I tried feeding half wet, half dry. They get WAY too hungry, and when I feed them Magic throws up because he eats too fast and too much on an empty stomach. I am really at a loss of what to do here! Is it because they are used to being free fed dry food? I don't want to starve them, they aren't fat at all either. Should I look for a food with a lower fat content than Felidae and that way maybe they can have more dry in the morning and then their wet at night?? HELP ME! I dont' want to starve my cats! Why does this have to be so difficult???!!! 8O :oops:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had the same problems with my cats and eventually gave up (we were trying half and half). Sassy is ~16 years old and I didn't think it was fair to her to make such drastic changes. Buddy, the other house cat, is 7 and would have adjusted fine, but Sassy is just set in her ways. So they are free-fed dry food (Natural Balance) and get as much wet food as they want in the evening (normally 1-2 oz). The outside cat (rescued barn cat, long story) eats dry food (Chicken Soup) and the occassional treat of Fancy Feast (that's all she'll eat so far). All I can say is that this works for us.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I wonder if you go back to your dry feeding for the time being, but take away the option of free feeding. This way they get used to having a set feeding schedule. Once they've had a chance to adapt to that, maybe you can then incorporate the wet food into their diet. Baby steps?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are used to getting wet food at night already...like 1 or 2 oz. But now when I try to give it to them in the morning, they eat a bit and then look at me like "excuse me? What is THIS? Where is my normal crunchy breakfast????". Then I feel bad! I think I'll do half the dry food amount (the bag says 1/2 cup daily if fed exclusively, so I will feed 1/4 of a cup) in the morning, and then 3 oz of wet at night. I hope this works.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts