Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I help my mom run an after school program on pets and for cat day I was going to bring in Willie. The problem is that he does not like his harness very much. when I put it on he tries to chew off the buckles. I never really let him because I always play with him when he has it on so he forgets about it. The thing is as soon as I stop playing he's back attacking the harness. So what should I do? I could let him have his go at the harness until he gives up on it and hope it does not make things worse or I could continue distracting him and hope that always playing with it on makes him think well of it. What do you think I should do? I don't plan on taking him outside though, we tried that and things did not work out.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Give it some time... put it on right before meals, lots of playtime, etc. But for very short periods of time at first then gradually longer and longer. Also, are you sure it fits correctly? Maybe its just uncomfortable?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I'm not sure if it fits...it is not too small if anything I'm laving it a little big so he does not feel too constricted. The only thing I worry about is the armpits, he has not shown signs it bothers him there but I still worry (I'm a worry wart). He just reaches his head back grabs the adjustment buckles and tries to pull it over his head. When I play with him he totally forgets about it but I don't know if that's a good thing, I'm not sure if it actually allows him to get used to it or not since once I stop he's back to biting at it.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Siamese are very intelligent cats, and cats are very tenacious creatures. Willy might eventually give up on trying to remove it.
Reward him when he stops biting at it. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts