Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Wednesday I noticed Timmy holding his eye half closed on and off, thought little of it as he is a bit clumsy at times and bumps into things. The next morning he was worse and his eye was getting red so we made an appointment for that evening with the vet. By the time we got him to the vet his eye had started weeping too, it was gunky and yellow.
The vet put a dye into his eye and we could clearly see a scratch on his cornea but the vet was happy that it was superficial. She gave him 2 injections, one was a long acting antibiotic, the other was an anti-infalmmitory/painkiller. We have been putting an ointment she gave us into his eye twice a day and once a day he gets a painkiller in his food.
My worry is that, if anything, his eye seems to be looking worse since his visit. Today was the first day he held it fully closed, did so for about an hour. It's open now but very red and swollen.
This was Timmy on Thursday

And this is him today

The picture of him today doesn't do justice to how angry his eye looks when it's open.

The vet said to bring him back if he wasn't better after 5 days but I would have thought he should be showing some improvement by now, certainly didn't think he'd be getting worse :(
What do you guys think? I'm getting worried there might be something more serious going on.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Which eye antibiotic is he on? If it's Terramycin, that can be very irritating to some cats' eyes. If that's the case, you should probably discontinue using it until you can speak with your vet again. He may need to be switched to a different eye antibiotic.

Laurie

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The ointment we're giving him is Fucithalmic and the injection he got was Convenia. We're in Ireland so I'm going to google what's in both, just in case they're the same thing but with different brand names. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Fucithalmic is entirely different from Terramycin, but that doesn't mean that your cat may not be having an adverse reaction to it. I just did a Google search on Fucithalmic and found that it can cause mild stinging of the eyes. I also found this information posted by a UK vet clinic to their clients:

Fucithalmic - Margetts & Associates

I would be inclined to agree with their recommendation to stop using Fucithalmic until you speak with your vet about the worsening of your cat's eye condition.

Laurie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.