Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had Indy and Sophie since they were 2 month old kittens. At the time we got them they were as close as could be, playing together, sleeping together (would even eat from the same bowl!). But now they're 2 years old and as often happens...they are becoming much more individual and seperate from each other.

They always sleep separately now and if put together one of them will immediately jump out of the bed. They also seem rougher when play chasing each other now, if Indy catches Sophie when chasing (doesnt catch here that often anymore :) ) they can often make little unpleasant meows and sometimes hisses.

I know some of these things are natural as the cats become bigger and stronger to some extent as they get older, but does anyone have any tips for getting their cats closer together again? I don't mean they have to do everything together, but it was so nice to see them as close as they were when they were younger, it would be nice if some of that fondness returned :)

·
Super Moderator
26,360 Posts
My bratz adopted me at about that age, and at 6 years old, they're still best friends, joined at the hip. Maybe if you give them treats together, like on the sofa or bed so they have to be next to each other to eat?

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Rub a little bit of butter on the top of their heads and back of necks and they will likely lick it off each other....that's one way of getting them closer.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rub a little bit of butter on the top of their heads and back of necks and they will likely lick it off each other....that's one way of getting them closer.
I rubbed a little butter onto the top of their heads and kept them together in the same room but they didn't seem interested in licking it off each other :( . They seem to be a lot more guarded over things now, if one of my cats is sleeping in a bed or hiding somewhere like a box, the other one won't dare to enter it as though they know they shouldn't enter the others territory. If I try and put them together whoever I have immediately struggles to get away.

It's like they really have grown apart of each other, and whilst there's no animosity between them, there really doesn't seem much fondness of each other anymore. Also Indy the boy only play chases Sophie, never the other way round, is this male dominance normal?

Has anyone any other ideas of things I could try to mix them a bit more?

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Sorry the butter trick didn't work. It really does sound like Sophie is now a bit afraid of Indy and doesn't trust him, since you say he does all the chasing and she doesn't reciprocate. Have you tried playing with them both at the same time with a fishing pole type of toy, like "Da Bird", or with a laser pointer. Go back and forth between them and let them take turns at playing. Feed them treats together, getting closer each time until they will eat side by side. It may work, or not....sometimes cats even tho brought up together do get estranged when they're mature, whether it's one becoming more dominant or not. Indy seems to be domineering to Sophie and she isn't standing up to him, so they may not go back to being cuddle buddies. Sometimes something happens that causes a greater friendliness to return, like a move to a new place, or with advancing age, but with cats you can't force them to be buddy-buddies if they don't want to be. :???:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited by Moderator)
I searched for that toy and have found a very similar one available online in Flying Frenzy cat toy which has got fantastic reviews. Wow, I didn't know cat toys like this existed! Seems really popular with cats going by the reviews so I've had to order one, especially as its quite cheap :) Can't wait for it to come now and try playing with them together!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts