Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help. We think my cat has Giardia. The we being me and my vet. I know there are prescription drugs to treat, but understand they are very nasty and difficult to give.

Anyone out there know of a natural treatment for Giardia? If I can't find any natural remedies by Monday I'll have to put her on the prescription drugs.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I have a natural protocol for giardia that has worked very well. It's kind of a pain to do, but it is totally safe. None of the medications are guaranteed to work (they have only a 70% efficacy rate). I guess I can't guarantee this either, but I have yet to see it fail when done correctly. We cleared a cattery with this method, and it has worked on adult cats and even dogs!

Get some digestive enzymes in capsules. Any people kind will work. Plant-based enzymes are better than pancreatic extracts. Make sure it contains at least protease and lipase. (This will all become clear when you read the labels! ) :) You will be opening up the capsule, mixing the powdery contents with a little water to make a slurry, and giving it to the cat by mouth with a syringe or eyedropper. Give as follows:

1/2 to 1 hour before each meal and at bedtime, for 8 days.

Stop for one week.

Repeat for 7 days.

It is essential that it be given on a *completely* empty stomach, so absolutely no food can be left out, no between meal treats allowed.

The theory is that if there's no food, the enzymes will digest anything that *is* there, which is the parasites.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info

Thanks Dr. Jean for the information regarding the digestive enzymes. I have some that I take myself. How much do I give at one time and how many times a day? She is not really eating, only drinking tuna water and lapping a little raw egg yolk, that's it.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I explained the entire protocol in my previous email: 1 capsule 3 times a day before meals and at bedtime. You must follow the directions *exactly* as to timing and feeding.

If she is lethargic or not eating, Giardia is *not* the cause. Cats with Giardia feel fine, they just have diarrhea.

Please get a second opinion from another vet.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 4 of 4 Posts