Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 1st birthday party to attend this Sunday for three kids. We are friends with all of the parents and so we will be buying gifts for all three kids, one being our Godson. Can you believe they were all born within two weeks of each other?

Anyway, Godson's mom had expressed to me at Christmas that she was thankful we got him clothes because she was worried everyone would buy nothing but toys. And I think these kids will get loaded up enough on toys. So I'm left to come up with other ideas.

Since we are buying for three, we really have to be reasonable about spending. I was thinking maybe a "My first books" set or something for each. Is this a good gift for this age? I know it's something they will use more in the future. If you like the idea, do you have suggestions on which books?

If you don't like the idea or want to be nice and offer more ideas... that's great, too!

p.s. Savings bonds have been suggested to me, but I don't think we can afford to buy them for three kids... at least in an amount we wouldn't be embarrassed to give.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I love buying books for kids :) In fact one of my best girlfriends had a book party for her son's first bday b/c she felt like he had many clothes and gifts but not nearly enough books :)

Cute clothes are always great, too :)

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Yes -- books are always a great gift. You can never have too many. :wink: They end up in the house, the car, the diaper bag, etc.

Some that my kids loved when they were little --

Any of the Dr. Seuss classics -- Go Dog Go, Green Eggs and Ham, etc.
Corduroy series (there is a great set of board books that we loved)
the Max and Ruby series by Rosemary Wells
anything by Sandra Boynton

There are so many good ones. I love the board books because the little ones can turn the pages themselves without ripping them, plus they can stand up to mouthing, being thrown, etc.

Clothes are great, too, but sometimes it is hard to get the correct size because the little buggers grow so fast!! :lol: If you go that route, ask the parents for a brand name they like and the correct size in that brand. Sizes vary tremendously by brand!

·
Registered
611 Posts
I'm an adult and my favorite books of any sort are the Winnie the Pooh books by A. A. Milne. I give them to adult and children alike. They are maybe too complex for a really young kid to read himself/herself but they are delightful when read aloud by a parent. Lots of onamotapeias or whatever.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
How about more clothes? I work at JCPenney and I would assume all of our other stores are having the same great sales. This woman came in last week and bought $3,000 worth of children's clothing to donate to charity and only paid $200 for it. You could probalby outfit the three for under $30.

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
As a kid I loved getting books -- I think that's a great idea, they can start reading them to them now and the kids can use them when they start reading...if they're anything like my books as a kid, they'll be well used. :)

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
manitu22 said:
How about more clothes? I work at JCPenney and I would assume all of our other stores are having the same great sales. This woman came in last week and bought $3,000 worth of children's clothing to donate to charity and only paid $200 for it. You could probalby outfit the three for under $30.
WOW

I still wear boy's size 18. I could easily go outfit myself :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Books are always good for kids, no matter what age. And there are sooo many different books you can get. (I'm a bookworm at heart)

I also suggest (depending on where you live) going to a Build-A-Bear store and building a bear for each child. Or you can give them a gift certificate so they can go with their parents. Check out their website: www.buildabear.com

·
Registered
539 Posts
we gave our nephew (who turned one this yr) a savings bond of S20.00 to add to the other four $20.00's that the rest of the family had chipped in on and a book. My BIL was very happy with the gift, saying he'd wished more people had thought of savings bonds. I think we're going to add $20.00 a holiday that we exchange gifts and birthdays plus a book but we're not sure yet. I don't know how you'd feel about two things to give but its just an idea. And my mom would say: " Books are the best gifts!" she's an elementary librarian.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
BOOKS! One Christmas Eve I sat with jingle bells, a tape recorder, and a children's book of classic stories. I read the stories aloud and told the children to turn the page when they heard the jingle bells. I am hoping that this is a gift that will be around for many years. It was a series of books, so I told the children on the tape what the book looked like, so that they had the right book.

It wasn't an original idea, of course! I had been recording books for the school library for quite a while. :)

·
Registered
349 Posts
It's Sat. night so you more than likely have your gift but just in case you're still deciding......Books! For Sure! My 18 year old and 21 year old have very special memories of the books they had read to them when they were little, as does this Mom.
:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts