Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum and I have a question concerning gingivitis in an older cat. She is 13 years old and started suffering from bad breath, drooling and other symptoms of gingivitis. She also started eating and grooming herself less. Two months ago she got her teeth cleaned from toothstone, but it helped only partially. Her gingives are still rather inflamed and she sticks to softer food. Prevously she was prescribed stomorgyl, an antibiotic containing spiramycin and metronidazole. The problem is that now she refuses to take these tablets (they may have a bad taste??), and the injections provoked a very painful swelling and inflamation at the place of application. So, we don't know how to proceed with her treatment. She is generally in good health, but a bit frail, as she has a mild heart condition (and is medicated) and from time to time suffers from apscesses close to her tail. Perhaps she is slightly immunodepressed? Otherwise she is a lively and affectionate cat. We would be very grateful for any sufggestion about a treatment. Are there other antibiotics which could be prescribed? Alternative treatments? How to help?
Thanks a lot!

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
Did they extract any teeth during the cleaning? In a 13 year old cat, a cavity is likely. This situation just makes me think that she still has a bad tooth in there. My cat Levi needs dental cleanings every year because he has very bad gingivitis and winds up with cavities.

I'm sorry, but I can't think of anything else that would cause he to still be in so much pain.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts