Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I normally don't think it is a good idea to give a pet as a present, particularly if purchased on impulse, but one of my friends at work lost her 20+ year old orange boy about 7 months ago...maybe slightly longer. She was devastated as you may have guessed. Right before that, her sister had given her a young male adult cat she could no longer take care of. He is a 21 lbs Raggie mix. My friend flew with him all the way from FL in order to give him a better life. Previously, he was an outdoor cat with lots of energy and she trained him to be indoors only.

Since her first cat passed, the new cat has been very lonely and so has my friend since she lives alone. I got her a gift certificate to the ASPCA as a holiday gift and am hoping she will be able to get a playmate for her current kitty.

I definitely know she will take care of this cat like her own child. I am not in the least bit concerned this new animal will be in any danger of being neglected or abused. I am hoping this will lift her spirits somewhat after the loss of her first cat. She has been saying she wanted a 2nd cat for some time, and when we've gone to the pet store together and they have those adoption events, she's always like "please don't let me near the cages or else I am walking out with a cat." She always manages to talk herself out of it, but this is just her nature overall.

Tomorrow I give her the card with the certificate inside. I sure hope she likes it, and that she sees that I did it because I care for her very much. And furthermore, that she's able to find the right Christmas kitty for the both of them!

·
Super Moderator
26,492 Posts
I think giving someone a pet as a gift (especially unexpected) and letting them pick their own are two completely different things.

What you did was kind and thoughtful and I'm sure the kitty will have a wonderful home.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I think that's a lovely gift, especially if she's been wanting a second cat for a while...and now she can see which cat picks her!

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
What you've done vs actually handing her a cat are two completely different things. She has a choice...if she wants another cat she'll use the gift certificate. If she truly doesn't, then she chooses to make her Christmas gift a nice donation to the ASPCA. A win either way. And your GC will hopefully tip the scales for her. Your approach to this is perfect.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
I agree, this is not the same as giving a pet. She has the GC to use when she's ready and she and the cat can choose each other.

I think it was a kind and generous gift.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This isn't only awesome because it's awesome, it's awesome because it's responsible and thoughtful. Agree with those who've said there's a huge difference between giving a pet as a gift, and what you're doing here. You've giving her a gentle nudge to find a new companion (knowing that she wants one, and that she has the means and ability to care for one), and the means to do so, but doing it in a way that there's no pressure involved. She can do this at her pace, and find the fuzzybutt that will be the perfect fit when the time is right for her. If only more people took YOUR approach at this time of year!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I second all the above comments. I think this is the perfect way to "give a pet as a gift." Now she has the choice on whether to act on it, can pick out the pet herself, etc. And can choose to just offer a donation (or save it if it doesn't expire) if now isn't the right time for adoption for her.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, everyone! At first, her knee-jerk reaction was "I can't get a cat right now", but when I explained to her that the certificate does not expire, she was actually very happy and appreciative. I am glad it all worked out so nicely :)

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Yes, that is a very nice and thoughtful gesture on your part. Although we never forget, with time, I'm sure she'll want another one to love and cherish again.

·
Registered
601 Posts
That was so wonderful of you to do. Yeah, I always get really uncomfortable seeing people post on craigslist (or hearing people talking in public) about giving a puppy or kitten as a Christmas present. They always talk about how they want the puppy or kitten to have a red bow around their neck and in a wrapped box with air holes or something, or in a basket under the tree. And the kids are so happy and such, but after about 5 minutes they're busy opening up their other presents, and then the family goes off to Aunt Dana's house or whatever for dinner, and the puppy/kitten is all alone, and they get back at night and the puppy/kitten has had an accident on the carpet and is chewing/scratching the furniture or whatever, and then it doesn't seem like such a good present.

Very sad. But that's not at all what you did. I would love a present just like that! Maybe that would help convince my husband to get a 4th cat. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts