Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have discovered that I have been blessed with a cat that is SO GOOD when it comes to getting a pill. Maleke has been on antibiotics for about 2 weeks now, and every time I stick the pill in his mouth (at the back) he swallows it.

The cat I grew up with used to spit them out, foam at the mouth, ANYTHING to avoid getting that pill. But with Maleke, I just put it in and he swallows it. I'm SO impressed with him!

·
Registered
137 Posts
grrrrrr....I'm so jealous. Just came from the vet and have to pill my little guy twice a day for 2 weeks! 8O

Not exactly looking forward to it. We've been through it before with the wormers and, lets just say, he was less than cooperative. :?

sprat

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
I never knew about these until I started working at a vet's office, so I don't know how readily available they are. They're called "pill pockets" and they're this moist treat kind of thing with a hole in the middle to hide the pill so instead of thinking they're eating medicine, its just like getting a treat. I personally have never used them but they seem rather convenient.

ok... after looking for two seconds I came up with a website :)

http://www.pillpockets.com/index_fs.htm

·
Registered
137 Posts
Talk about freaky wierd. Osnobunnie, I read your post and visited the website, and thought "What a great idea, I've got to get some of these" the only thing is, I've got to pill the cat again tonight, too bad Fedex or whomever doesn't have same day delivery. Then I looked at this place's address and it's located about 8 miles from me. I'm going by there today during lunch. In all the cities, it all the world.........

God must be smiling down on me today (or my poor little cat) :D :D :D

katsprat

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
When I had to give my puppy her pain meds after spay, I just put a squirt of dog peanut butter (the kind that goes with Kongs) and put the pill in it. She licked right up and down with the pill!

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
I think dogs are easier than cats. Well... MY dog is easier than MY cat. As long as its not dog food, onions, or mushrooms my dog will eat it without a second sniff. We haven't actually had to pill her for anything that I can remember (knock wood) but she'll eat ANYTHING. Addison on the other hand has to sniff, lick, sniff again, think about taking a bite, lick again... before you know it anything that's covering the pill is gone and he won't go near it. I'm definately going to try these next time he needs some pills.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I've had good success crushing the pill and putting it in wet food. Some medications cannot be ingested this way, though. I imagine there are some that the pill pocket should not be used for as well.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
I just thought that crushing the pill and mixing it with wet food left open the possibility of the cat not getting ALL of the medication. Hm... either way, my cat wouldn't touch the food with the pill in it.

I also have a piller now (the tube you use to push the pill way back) and its a life saver. One try and we got it down. I'd recommend giving that a try if you haven't. I got mine for like $2.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Before I realized that Maleke was really easy to give a pill to, I tried hiding the pill in his wet food. It was so funny, he licked all around the pill....and at the end the dish was CLEAN except for the pill sitting right in the middle!

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
I had to give wet liquid medication to Sugar and she hated me forcing the meds down her instead all I had to do was put it in my hand for her to lick it up herself. Pilling her is easy too but Twinkie is not that easy, he's a squiggle worm :lol:

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
hopefully they won't. I guess it seems a little big for cats and small dogs, but I know most would just lick and swallow. good question though...

·
Banned
60 Posts
I wonder if I smash up the pill and mix it in his food, if he'd notice. Boy's on a course of antibiotics too, before his dental next week.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts