Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys

my first post was some time ago, about our cat ! hehe

Its now had 5 kittens :) I think only one is male! its been around 4 weeks now I think! is it a good time to give them away? They play about, quite alot around the house now :p

Also will the mother cry or look for its kittens? cuz I'd feel really sorry about giving them away! from what I am been told the mother and the kittens cry for a few days?

Does the mother forget about the kittens? or the kittens forget about the mother? Will they remember if lets say we bought the other kitten/s back for a day?

We love our cat, it doesnt mess around the house, never does poo in the house always outside :) etc I'm not sure if the kittens do the same yet!

I am from the UK!

thanks for all the help :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
You should wait until the kittens are at least 10 weeks old, preferably 12. They still have lots to learn from mum and from each other. The kittens need some time to ween, or they might becomes suckers and kneaders when older.

I don't think cats have the same sort of social memory that dogs have. It can be very disrupting for cats to be introduced and then separated and I personally would never do it.

Congrats on the babies!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Also, if you decide to get rid of the kittens, don't give them away for free. Charging even a small amount can help deter people who pick up free kittens for experiments or for their own sadistic pleasure.

I'm sure you probably thought of this, but I wanted to mention it.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I will second the opinion of the 2 previous posts.

Please don't let them go yet. They really do have so much to learn from mom and they will make much better pets when they do.

And yes, please don't give them away for free. It's heartbreaking to hear of the things sick people do with free animals. You don't want to see these sweet babies hurt do you? :(

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Well, I don't think giving them away for free is a problem. So long as you know the people who are taking the kittens. I got my cat free from a co-worker. He gave the other cats to other friends and family, his mom, his sister, his neighbor, etc.

I agree that giving cats away free to strangers is dangerous for the cat, but to friends? Not a problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts