Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cat had the dentist/vet appointment yesterday.

He spent the entire day there. Mom dropped him off at 8:30am and picked him up at 4pm. 8-O

He came home with pills. stache gets them twice a day for this week. So i need help giving stache these pills.

Today my mom crushed the pill and put it in a dalup of cat milk and mixed it up .. and sucked it up in a suringe. So i gave stache the meds that way.

Its a challenge giving it to him that way. I have him sitting in a chair and then i lean on him and put the suringe in his mouth and squirt the meds in his mouth.

Does that sound easier then just giving him the pill whole?

thanks

· Registered
24 Posts
I recently had to give my cat 15 days worth of baytril. I would give him several treats and then when he was expecting another treat would switch in his pill. He swallowed it right down, no problem. They were the flavored kind of pills however, but I don't think it would have mattered. Just a thought. Hope all goes well for you and your kitty.

· Registered
1,513 Posts
My vet told me to hold the cat with the snout pointing skyward. The bottom jaw will pop open automatically. Throw the pill as far back as possible then clamp the mouth shut.

I had to pill my Miu once and that worked. Once or twice she spit it out, but I just went back and repeated. It went down the 2nd time.

· Registered
1,405 Posts
My vet told me to hold the cat with the snout pointing skyward. The bottom jaw will pop open automatically. Throw the pill as far back as possible then clamp the mouth shut.

I had to pill my Miu once and that worked. Once or twice she spit it out, but I just went back and repeated. It went down the 2nd time.
this I could do with Sherbert.. but with a few of the boys and Pepper If I tried this I would get my hands removed, even wrapping them in a towel, so for them I just crush it with a spoon and mix it into their wet food. Pepper glares at me as she eats it, but she eats it.

The dogs are SOOOO much easier to pill.

· Registered
4,065 Posts
If the antibiotic you were given is clindamycin, which is the most commonly prescribed antibiotic for dental issues, there are a couple of cautions you need to know. First, it is extremely bitter, so crushing and mixing it with food or milk isn't likely to work. The more quickly you can get it down your cat's throat, the better. Second, "dry pilling" clindamycin can cause irritation and damage to the esophagus. It's VERY important that your cat consumes some food or water immediately before AND immediately after pilling to make sure the pill doesn't get stuck in his esophagus. The easiest way to do this is to give the cat some canned food soup (canned cat food mixed with warm water) or water from a can of tuna. Let him lap up a little of the soup or tuna water, then pop the pill in, then dribble a couple of cc's of water in the side of his mouth with a needless syringe or eyedropper. The water will force the cat to swallow and help wash the pill all the way down his throat. You can then follow that up by offering him more of the soup or tuna water.

Laurie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.