Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to give my cat some oral meds twice a day. He gets really mad and even growls but never hurts me, yet. Then he sulks for a while. Is there another way i can do this where he will still get the full benefits from the medicine but i can reduce the stress on both of us giving them to him? This is the first time I've had to do this and to be honest I have no clue how to so I'm kinda winging it. If needed the meds are Valbazen Liq Albendazole and Erythromycin. Also if anyone can tell me what they are and what they do I would really appreciate it, the vets explanations were confusing. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I mean, what tests were done and what were the results? What did the *vet* say was wrong with him? Was a diagnosis made? This is an unusual combination of meds. I don't think I used erythromycin more than once or twice all the years I was in practice.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
meds

i've been trying to remember but i don't think he actually said anything specific that i can remember. he did say they had to rehydrate him twice in two days and he stayed in the hospital for four days before they sent us home with the meds. he told me the one was for controlling diarrea and the other was a wormer i think but he really didn't have a lot to say other than that he thought the cat was just one that was going to just be sickly. i think he called him a do-poorly cat. i tried to tell him i thought he had eaten something that got him sick and that i had seen him vomit a few times and then quit eating completely but he kept telling me that the cat wasn't vomiting. i told him i only saw him vomit that one day but no since but he kepy insisting that the cat wasn't vomiting so i gave up. so i'm not real sure. does any of this help?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
meds

oh yeah, he did say he tested for leukemia and something else but they both came back fine. i don't remember what he said the second test was. sorry.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
suspencer, it really doesn't sound as if this vet knows what they are doing :( . Could you take your kitty for a second opinion if he isn't feeling better in a few days? I wish you guys the best of luck!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
It does sound suspiciously like they are just "shotgunning" treatment without a real diagnosis. Erythromycin is just such a weird antibiotic to use in a cat; in 10 years as a feline vet, I think I used it maybe twice. Unless they did a culture and it was the only antibiotic that would work, it is an odd choice.

In people, erythromycin can cause severe stomach cramping and pain. I wonder if this could be a factor in your cat's resistance to taking it.

I agree, a second opinion is in order. After the cat was four days in their hospital, they should have a better answer for you.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
23 Posts
My vet allows me to do a lot of at home treatment...
For dehydration, he lets me take under the skin fluids home to administer. And one of my cats has a sensitive stomach, so they give me antibiotics that are injectible.
My cat is a diabetic so I was already comfortable with needles. But its really not that hard to get used to doing. and so much easier than shoving pills down their throats.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Was the second test any kind of blood work up? The symptoms you mention make me think kidney disease, but the vet *should* have been able to tell you if that was the problem.

Please look up a different vet and take your kitty there.

Are you doing pills - or liquid meds? If pills, there are pill poppers that you can buy that make that much easier. The best thing for liquid is just to get the syringe thing in their mouth and shoot it as quick as you can. Then get out their favorite special toy or treat.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
meds

well, i was thinking I should take him somewhere else but choices here are scarce. I will check around though. No, the other test was for another disease I just can't remember what he said it was. But it was not bloodwork. I just know it was something he ate that got him sick but I could get the vet to listen to me. I saw him eat whatever it was and then he vomited for a couple hours and then just quit eating and drinking at all. I know he dehydrated quick and that was part of the reason he was at the hospital so long, I think the other reason was they were trying to figure out what was wrong with him. Anyway, he does seem to be feeling better today, he is actually running around a bit this morning and is eating much better so hopefully we are on the way to recovery. I did quit giving him the medicine when Dr. Jean questioned it and it sure does seem like he doesn't even need it. So who knows, but I do think you are all right and I will start looking for a new vet. Thank you all for helping.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts