Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, here's a little background... my 8 month old cat was very sick and dehydrated over the past weekend. Took him to the vet, and he was hospitalized for 2 days. The vet cut him open after taking an X-ray and seeing a suspicious spot in his stomach. But after she cut him open, the "spot" had passed through his colon, at which point she sewed him back up, said to just let the object (which was found out to be a huge wad of Bubble Yum Bubble Gum) come out on it's own. She sent him home the next day with 2 different liquid medications that are supposed to be given every twelve hours, twice a day. One is called Metoclopramide, and the other just says TMPS suspension. Tried giving them to him last night with syringes, it took 3 of us to hold him down to get the Metoclopramide down, we got half of the other down, until he finally broke free and was drooling excessively, almost looked like he was foaming at the mouth. Trying to give it to him this morning was twice as bad, and ending up getting nothing down. I even tried mixing it in his food, but he wouldn't touch the food.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to give a stubborn cat these kinds of medicines? The closest vet to us is a 45 minute drive one way, and is only open for 4 hours a day, so getting them to help when he needs to take the medicine is next to impossible. Also, if anyone has any information on what these medicines are for, (how important are they for what he has gone through, and how bad is it if he missed that dose this morning), it would greatly help also.
Thank you so much!
Briana

·
Registered
611 Posts
I had to give my cats tapeworm medicine in a syringe. I think that they give you a dose which assumes that the cat will spit or drool a large portion of it. When you say you mixed it with your food, does this mean you give them wet food?

Metoclopramide is used for nausea and vomitting generally. Google has no matches for tmps suspension.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The vet actually put him on a special diet of Feline I/D prescription diet wet food 1/3 of a can twice a day for ten days. That's what I tried mixing it in. Maybe it's too much medicine (2 mls of one, 1 ml of the other) for such a small amount of food?
Thanks for the info on the metoclopramide, and thanks for looking for the tmps, I've also looked with no luck :(

·
Registered
14 Posts
Cod liver oil

Hi<You could try mixing it with cod liver or tuna oil-sometimes that works.Or sometimes Nutracal will mask the taste.Nothing harder than giving liquids to uncoperative cats.Good luck.Marla

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hi,

Sorry about your poor kitty.

We have a very cooperative cat so I might not be too much help. We take a bath towel and wrap it over his back and tighten it around his neck(that sounds bad) LOL.
Then my husband picks him up and cradles him like a baby. I take the syringe and very very slowly squirt a tiny bit into his cheek. I let him swallow it then squirt a little bit more. It takes forever to get 1cc in him, but it works really good and he is less scared. We talk to him the entire time and give him turkey baby food as a treat afterwords. He wont eat normal kitty treats.... :roll:

We tried the grab, hold and squirt fast way and it was a disaster. :shock:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the tip kana, we've been doing the grab hold and squirt technique, getting very little medicine down... but your method worked excellently! he slipped out of the bath towel, though, so I finally had to use an old bedsheet and 'mummy' wrap him in it. thank goodness, only 2 more days of medicine for him, but your advice will definitely help in case we have to do it again :D

·
Registered
381 Posts
Yeah! I'm SO happy this worked well for you and for your kitty.
So many(offline) people were trying to tell me to grab the back of his neck and yank back and open his mouth and do all kind of barbaric things. :shock: I'm sure many have to resort to less gentle measures and I'm not judging those with more difficult cats. :wink: We decided to try a more relaxed approach and it worked so well that it left my husband and I just looking at each other and saying, "thats it". We read so many funny pill/liquid stories on line and thought that it would be much harder.
You should see how he takes pills. My vets showed us how to throw in in the back of his throat. We just gently open his mouth, put the pill in and close his mouth. He swallows and walks away.

I wasn't going to tell you this part, but our cat has gotten so used to med that he actually watches us draw up the meds, runs into his room and stands on the table waiting to be wrapped up. He then lays his head on my husbands arms and does the Elvis cheek thing and lets me squirt it in. :lol:

He is such a great cat!!!

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
I remember when my cat had to have liquids put in their mouth, I could mix it in the wet food with one of my cats Twinkie and he would eventually lap everything up. With Sugar, she wouldn't touch the food and I couldn't wrap her in a towel since she just had hip surgery so when she was sitting I would just go up to her and squirt it in her mouth and put it far back as possible. Just to let you know, you may try just squirting a little bit in the palm of your hand b/c I accidentally had some on my hand and she kept licking it up. I didn't have to force her or anything! Good idea to try, some just don't like to be forced. :wink:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Its funny, but the first time I had to give Peaches her liquid antibiotic it took two of us. One to hold her and the other to open her mouth and squirt the medicine down her mouth. The second time we tried that, the squirt missed and some of it fell on my hand and Peaches immediately licked it :eek:
We were using all that force for nothing!!! Poor thing...

After that giving her medicines was a breeze, just squirt it on my plam and she licks it clean... my little angel :D

Summer

·
Registered
366 Posts
Yes - the wrap in a towel method works really nicely for a stubborn cat!

I think TMPS is an antibiotic to treat/prevent infections caused by bacteria - or in your case - bubble gum.

I hope he's feeling better soon!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts