Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has any advice on this. About 2 weeks ago, the vet found my 21-year old cat, Morgan, to be dehydrated and prescribed weekly sub-q fluid treatments. They gave her the first one right then, and we've given her one so far. The vet said she shouldn't be in any pain during the treatment, but both times she has cried out and squirmed as though very uncomfortable. It is very difficult to witness our cat, especially at her age, in such distress.

Does this reaction sound typical for a cat receiving fluid treatment? Is there any way to make the process less uncomfortable and stressful for her? Any advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Is there a possibility she is reacting to being restrained? I know that is what my two fuss about when they get shots. Or at least a big part of it anyway.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
What type of fluids are you using, and did the vet add anything to them? Some fluids and some additives can sting.

What size and brand of needle are you using? I recommend a 20 gauge Terumo Ultra Thin Wall needle. Terumos are sharper and less painful to insert than the Monojects that most vets use. Most vets also use larger gauge needles (18's or even 16's) because they produce a faster fluid flow rate, which means the vet can finish the admin more quickly and move on to his next patient. Larger gauge = larger, more painful hole in the cat's skin.

Most importantly, are you warming the fluids before administration? Room temp fluids can severely chill a cat, making subQ admin VERY uncomfortable. If you are warming the fluids, HOW are you warming them, and HOW are you testing the temp before admin?

Lastly, please describe how you are doing the admin. Where are you doing it? How are you restraining her? How are you inserting the needle? The more details you can provide, the easier it will be for me to identify things you should or shouldn't be doing to make things easier for your girl.

I give subQ's to between 2-5 of my cats every day, so I've got this down to a pretty painless, stress-free experience for all of us. In fact, one of my cats has started racing me to the chair for his fluids twice a day. Trust me, this doesn't have to be difficult for any of you. Once you get the technique the tricks down, your old girl will learn to appreciate how much better fluids make her feel.

Laurie

·
Registered
102 Posts
Your cat might just be scared. When I had to give Ringo sub-q's at first he did the same thing, but he eventually got used to it and administering the fluids was easy from then on.

·
Registered
147 Posts
81lives
Its sound's like you are getting some great advice, I don't know much about sub-Q fluids other than for a short time I had to give them to a cat, what I do remember is
(I had to give them everyday, you are giving once a week, so this may not matter)
Is the vet giving you any vitamin B, they tell me sub-Q fluids flush the vitamin B out of the system and sometimes the vet will put vitamin B into the sub-Q fluids to off set this, and I was told this some times stings. Again Im no expert on sub-Q fluids and I hope someone with more experence will weigh in to tell you if you need the B vitamins Good Luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts