Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to give your cats their shots yourself? I would of course still bring my cats in for their check ups, but with the number of cats I have it would probably save me $$ to give my own shots like I do w/ my goats. All my cats are rescued and spayed/neutered. How do you learn what shots to give and how to give them, and where is the best place to buy them? My town gives only rabies for free. Thanks alot...

·
Registered
628 Posts
The only shot you can give by yourself is the Distemper Combo(4-1). The Rabies has to be given by a licensed vet. You can order the Combo online and Pet Meds or other places. I would recommend you ask your vet or shelter to show you how to do it.

Take care,
Abhay

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've raised dogs all my life and have always given shots at home. It is much cheaper and easier. Saves a trip to the vet and the $$$ for an office visit.

Brandon

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
shots..

as i said, the town gives rabies shots for free so i don't have to get that. How do I know what shots they need? What is the best place to get them? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Sure, I know several people who administer their own shots, because they have a lot of strays and fosters. I'll ask them where they buy. I know one reputable company that has an extensive vaccine selection is Drs Foster & Smith, they should be online (I get their catalogue). I go to a mobile vet that comes to a specific place every Sat or Sun for my cats' shots.

The best person to show you how to administer shots is your vet, and then you can get his/her opinion on what shots you need. There are different areas of the body where certain shots are given, and most vets don't give shots around the scruff anymore due to worries of sarcoma.

·
Registered
40 Posts
give your own vaccinations

I have worked for a veterinarian for several years and I personally give my cat her vaccinations.. I give her FVRCP-C and Leukemia every year.. I usually purchase these vaccinations at the local Feed store... I also buy the syringes and needles there also.. You'll need to get a 22x1 needle with the 3cc syringe... Have your veterinarian show you how to do it... its pretty easy once your shown... You have to make sure that the vaccines are mixed properly and all the air is out of the syringe. and the vaccine goes in the cat Sub Q= under the skin... It saves me alot of money to be able to vaccinate my own animals... Make sure you learn how..and dont share needle/syringes... I like the Distemper /Leukemia combo... means only one vaccination... ask your vet what they reccomend.and if you live a ways from the store.. bring a insulated lunchbox with you with a cold thing in it... the vaccine needs to be kept cold...
good luck
Nwlily32

1 - 6 of 6 Posts