Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This site updates every few minutes and shows "terror" incidents which have occured all over the world. I guess there's too many to report on the evening news every night. 8O

http://www.globalincidentmap.com/home.php

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
oh please,
what a bunch of hooey

read some of the "terror incident" descriptions...

guy found asleep on empty airplane,
someone called in a fake bomb threat,
nearly 100 people evacuate because of grenade found in suitcase... turns out it was an un-explosive WW2 souvenir...
Someone smelled a bad odor (not kidding, thats actually one of them),
Some stuff went missing that could be used for a homemade bomb...
There's a civil war going on somewhere...

·
Banned
12,197 Posts
Yes, you're partially right. The reason for the odd concentration of terrorist incidents in the US isn't because there's more terrorism, in fact it's because we're hyper-alert to it now and a lot of stuff that's irrelevant gets reported and put on the map. Whereas in a lot of other countries, stuff that should be there isn't because it doesn't get reported. Either because the governments involved don't want it known, and maybe because there's no survivors to report it. I know I'd much rather be here than there.

·
Banned
12,197 Posts
Nell said:
....Someone smelled a bad odor (not kidding, thats actually one of them),...
Don't anybody fart on an airplane. You might find yourself on the aisle floor with two sky marshalls on your back pinioning your arms and legs. :roll:

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
In fact, some people argue that this may actually be the most peaceful time in the entire history of the human species,

Here's an interesting essay on the topic, but be warned: it begins with a brief but graphic description of violence against cats.

http://pinker.wjh.harvard.edu/articles/media/2007_03_19_New Republic.pdf

(The point of the cat story being that there was a time when the public torture of animals was considered fine family entertainment. Our standards for what constitutes constitutes humane treatment have increased drastically. If they hadn't, there wouldn't be any debate about the US government torturing prisoners -- they would be airing the tortures on television so you could make some popcorn and enjoy it with the kids.)

EDIT: Oh, here's a fun one:

"State health officials say a radioactive gauge that went missing a month ago has been found in Clinton."

Gotta watch out for those missing gauges. It let them put a scary-looking radiation symbol on the map, though.

·
Registered
878 Posts
coaster said:
Don't anybody fart on an airplane. You might find yourself on the aisle floor with two sky marshalls on your back pinioning your arms and legs. :roll:
Wooo! :wink:

At any rate, my post about the bunker was complete and total sarcasm, just in case the Y2K reference went over anyone's head :lol:

·
Super Moderator
8,187 Posts
Ok so yeah, the USA attacks might be a little silly...like the counterfit toothpaste but so far I've yet to read anything laughable about the other countries attacks....all these bomb threats and stuff....it's quite sad to me actually.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Heather102180 said:
Ok so yeah, the USA attacks might be a little silly...like the counterfit toothpaste but so far I've yet to read anything laughable about the other countries attacks....all these bomb threats and stuff....it's quite sad to me actually.
Depends. There was one in New Zealand last night involving protectors putting fake poison pills on the grounds of some botanical gardens to protest the gardens poisoning some sort of animal. One in Australia now involved an unattended package that turned out NOT to be a bomb, found at the airport. And I can't read any of the ones in the UK, France, and Spain because of the zoom bar over them.

There's certainly no denying that a lot of bad things are happening all over the world, however. Most of the ones outside the First World that I've looked at do seem to be genuinely alarming (and the sorts of things that the US news generally overlooks in favor of the latest silly thing a celebrity has done.)

I guess my main problem with things like this is that it seems to be designed to feed into the current American fear of the dangers of terrorism, which for most Americans is far smaller than the dangers of the morning commute or the dangers of the local swimming pool.

I also think that the current emphasis on terrorism-terrorism-terrorism in the US media (in particular) distracts us from a lot of things going on the world that we genuinely SHOULD be alarmed about -- more alarmed than we actually are, in fact. (Global warming, food shortages, and unsustainable environmental practices in general being the most obvious, in my opinion.)

The cynic in me suspects that the emphasis on terrorism is designed to distract us from issues that are more dangerous, but where a demand to provide solutions might cut into corporate profits. But like I said, I'm a cynic.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Well, according to that map, the safest places to be are New Zealand, Mongolia and Russia. Russia!? Siberia, anyone? :D
Sorry, I can't take these things to seriously. It's all too vague and I think is just used to keep us afraid. Do people use terror tactics to get their way or make their point? Yes. And that can have tragic results. But, we're in much more danger of being hit by a bus or slipping in the tub. And if you really read all those little, nasty looking markers, come on! an odor on a plane, bomb threat, suspicious package? Heck, I'm SURE I've been responsible for suspicious packages over my lifetime and I really doubt that my Algebra 101 and Elements of Style left on the 86th Street crosstown bus were a major threat. Except, perhaps of death by boredom!
All I'm saying is, put it in perspective, people!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts