Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live with my parents right now and together we have three cats. My cat came with me when I moved in and she stays with me throughout the day. I'm her owner despite living in a house with other people and wherever I'm at, she follows.

I'm planning to go overseas for at least two months and I'm worried that she'll think I abandoned her. Taking her with me isn't really an option. I'm afraid when I get back she'll get mad at me or not be my pal anymore :lol:

I inherited her from a lady who couldn't have pets in her new apartment a few years ago, and I don't want her to think she's being passed off to another owner again. She gets along with my father and my parents will take good care of her, but I still hope she still stays beside me when I come back.

Anyone have experience with this? I usually wouldn't care but she's unusually loyal.

·
Super Moderator
26,359 Posts
Cats are very adaptable, and as long as they're loved, I think they're okay. At least she's going somewhere familiar. And you're coming back. :patback

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just saw this thread now, and I'm sorry to reply to it so late, but I have a similar concern. I have two cats, both males, one is who two and one who is just about seven months. Through my graduate school program, I have a chance to apply for a fellowship that would let me live abroad in pretty much any country I want for up to three or four months. Bringing the kitties unfortunately wouldn't be option.

Right now to save on rent while I'm a student, I'm living in the remodeled attic of my grandmother's second-floor apartment of a two-family house, and my parents live in the first-floor apartment. The cats spend most of their time on the second floor but do go downstairs now and then... the little one especially loves to come down for visits. My parents and brothers would have no problem taking care of the cats during the few months I'd be away, but I worry about the cats forgetting me, especially the older one. They are both former shelter cats, and I don't want them to feel like they're being abandoned again. Oskar, the two-year-old, is an incredibly sweet and affectionate little guy to me, snuggly and loves to sit on my lap, but he seems shyer and more skittish around most men he meets. He seems to like my mother, but he gets a little nervous when I bring him downstairs because there's so many other (louder) people in the house, namely my father and two of my three brothers who are also living at home right now. I don't know if in his past men treated him badly or if this is just related to the fact that he's easily spooked by loud noises. Do you think he'd be ok staying with my family for a few months without me around? He could live primarily upstairs on the quiet second-floor or downstairs with all the people (my grandmother is hardly ever home and is not a cat person anyway). I'm less worried about Marmalade, the little cat. He loves everyone he meets and he is as outgoing as they come. I worry more about him driving my parents crazy because he loves to climb and he begs for people-food as if he's a dog. :) Do you think they'd forget me or that Oskar wouldn't be as bonded with me when I came home? I'm really excited to apply for this fellowship because I have close to a 50% chance of getting one, but I worry so much about leaving my kitties for so long. I adopted Oskar in February 2009 when he was one and a half and Marmalade in June of 2009 when he was three months, if that makes any difference. Thanks, everyone, and I'm sorry for such a long first post.

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
Not to worry, your cats will remember you. Three to four months isnt long. Ive visited former foster kitties and its been months. They see me and then the voice recognisition kicks it. You can see the wheels turning and then the express change on their faces. Its like "I know you! Where the heck have you been?"

Its harder on a cat if you change where they are living and then you disappear. Cats are territorial.They do miss you but they dont hold it against you! Im sure your family will give them extra love and attention while you are gone.

From experience~ if you leave your kitties make sure they arent ignored. They can start to regress and hide and get fearful. Its important they get daily interaction, hands on love, playing. Even if they are a shy cat.

Im dealing with that right now with one of my fosters. Hes skittish and shy. Now we are starting all over on his confidence and socialiblity because I was gone so much and he hid and regressed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i think as long as they are staying in the same house and no major changes in their living environment happen, they will be fine and not feel abandoned or like they did when they were in a shelter. that is compleeeetely different.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts