Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I went to the doctor and they told me that they are going to schedule an appointment for me for a MRI. They only say that because my legs didn't look so good to them( I have Lupus BTW. Had it since I was only 13). I Thought that ended lnog time ago.. >< I had a blood clot and now it's gone.

So yeah I'm a little upset right now, but I hope it all goes well.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
They're really not that bad...
The biggest issue with people is claustrophobia... but unless you weigh like 300+ lbs, there's plenty of room! And they are watching you, so if anything happens, you can get pulled out and taken care of... it's not like you're in there all alone!

The thing(s) that bother me most are:
Noise. Granted, you have earplugs (or headphones, if you want to listen to music or a CD or something), but you can still hear plenty of banging, groaning, whirring, clicking, etc.
Pain. I have a very bad case of scoliosis, and laying flat on my back for more than 10 minutes is uncomfortable... past 20, and I'm in agony. Even with a hydrocodone pill, it's still enough to make me cry by the time I'm finished at 45 minutes. If you don't have anything wrong with your structure, I'm sure this won't be an issue... but since you do have to lay still (and they do strap you in, unlike what TV shows like House show, where they're just laying there 'freely'!), it might get your muscles a bit cramped from no movement for about an hour or so.
Boredom. Even with music or a book CD or something... it's still not very entertaining! LOL (and my music gets interrupted every couple of minutes because they have to tell me when to take a deep breath and hold it, or exhale all the way and hold it, etc. because I get chest images done)

I'm sure you'll be okay! ^_^

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm 244 Ibs and they wanted to go deeper in my legs. I'm going to be on a IV and things but thanks for the support. MY friend also has Scoliosis too and she always get test done. :p

I'm at a very high risk of getting another clot. So they want to make sure there are none so yeah. The last time I had was I was first diagnose...

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And yesterday they said that they were going to give me these special socks or whatever to help elevate my legs, but I think thats when everything is al done.

I'm a little anxious..

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
I'm sure things will be ok, just keep positive thoughts in your mind, and try not to worry to badly. The stress of the worrying will only make things worse for you. I'm a worrier too, and most the time I worry for no reason at all! I know it's difficult though, the unknown is what's always hard, and I really dislike the doctor too, so I know it's not easy. Take care though, and just let us know how things go.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hehe thanks. I mean I do like my doctors but I just don't like hearing stuff about this.. Hehe.. at least they aren't doing any surgery on me. hehe.. =D

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
I hope everything goes very well for you and you don't feel nervous at all. Keep thinking before hand that it will be a piece of cake and convince yourself not to be afraid. Sometimes you can either work yourself up or calm yourself down just by the way you choose to think about things.
Do you know what day it will be? I'd like to think about you and send good thoughts.

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
I hope everything goes well and the results show everything is ok! I went for an MRI once, it didn't take that long to have the MRI and it wasn't too long a wait for the results... just think positive!

I've had an autoimmune disorder since I was a teenager as well... bleh. I didn't graduate at the same time as everyone else because of it! I later took the two courses I needed and graduated. :p

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I hope your MRI goes well! If you've never had one before, don't worry, they're not too bad. Basically it's just like a big plastic donut that makes loud clicky noises while you lay there. I've had quite a few, several of them on my leg. The only things that have ever bothered me about them were 1-Having to scratch an itch, since you're not supposed to move, and 2-Doing a contrast MRI. For those they inject a dye into the area they're going to take a scan of, and the dye, for whatever reason, it's a little bit painful. It kind of ached for a few hours from what I recall. But regular MRIs are painless!

If you're worried about being claustrophobic, closing your eyes helps a lot. Although since it's on your leg, if you're not very short then your head probably won't even be in the machine.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
When I had my legs done, they put me all the way in - head first, as usual. They also had the IV in my foot, as it would get the dye to my legs faster than if it was up in my hand/arm area.

Closing your eyes can help, yes.
I did at first, but then my curiosity made me brave and I looked around... not that there's much to see! LOL One MRI I had, there was a little mirror right above you that reflected the room inside (it acted sort of like a window) - probably to help with the claustrophobia issue.

Wait... did you say June 20? Sheesh, for being worried about blood clots, they sure are waiting a long time to get around to seeing about it! o_O

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know right. And Yes June 20. Well at least they were telling me this now or at least they couldn't wait until later..

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow! Took me a while to find this thread.

Okay, I have a update in terms of the MRI. I finally scheduled mt appointment for the MRI and it will in July. I thought it was this month, but I guess not.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts