Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted opinions on this topic,

Ever since Jerry was a baby we could not keep him inside. He sits by the door and waights for someone to open it so he can dash out. I dont know why, he just loves it.

(Jerry is neutered)

I really try to keep him in most of the time because of the feral cats in the woods. However, if it is warm out and the family is going to be outside. I will let Jerry and Lilly out to play in the sun. (MInnie doesnt care for it outside and Jessy is to small)

I only let them out when we are going to be out with them. Lilly stays very close to us all the time and follows me around playing. Jerry wanders around, but is close by.

So is this ok for them, or not?

·
Registered
676 Posts
If your kitty is dead set on wanting to be outside, and you don't feel like going through trying to successfully deter him from this, perhaps you could consider leash training him to walk with a harness outside with you.

That way he can be happy and get what he wants, but you can feel more at ease about where he goes, and what/who he runs into.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I keep wanting to suggest an answer that would be easy on you. But, the words of Dr. Jean keep running through my head. Even being at their side, there are some predators that can act too quickly for you to respond.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Leash training is a great idea, but takes patience and time. I have a couple that want out pretty bady, but I never allow it, I keep them shut in a room when I do things like unload groceries from the car and then if they try to get near the door at other times when it's being opened, I squirt them with water.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I would really keep an eye on him, I refuse to let my cats outside it is too dangerous, There are some foxes in our area as well and a main road, My neighbours cat went missing she let him out all the time, when she called the cat shelter to see if they found him they actually replied not another one from that area, I would really weigh up the dangers of your area first

1 - 5 of 5 Posts