Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, the time has come for Marsh to be neutered. We're doing a doctor visit early next week, and the surgery on Friday. We're the only cat scheduled that day, so that's nice. They're going to let him in around 8am and release after 3pm. The surgery will be perfomed by their head vet, the owner of the cat clinic. It's a nice, all-cat small hospital right in our town, he will also be the one doing the visit earlier.

I already have a list of questions to ask the doctor, but if anybody has anything else they can add, i'd really appreciated it.

He's exactly 5.5 months now, and the timing is excellent :lol:

- is he normal weight?
- are we feeding enough dry/wet?
- white cat - is once a month bathing ok?
- what to do after we take him home?

Otherwise, when we first brought him home, he took the trip home from the breeder like a champ, he slept on my lap - didn't want to stay in the cage for even a second! He was sooo curious about the car, he then wanted to explore. He's just a lovable, huggable guy :D

·
Registered
327 Posts
I was paranoid about taking my cat corey to get neuteured too...but he came home that same day perfectly fine! he acted better after being neuteured than getting his shots...he didnt even sleep..there was nothin idid after we brought him home..everything went normal..so no worries :)

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jenny ahearne said:
Castration is usually advised from 6 months - would it be better to wait until then? It is a very simple op and I am sure he will be fine.It is the only responsible thing to do really
We're having a vet visit before the actual date, he will be about 5 months and 18 days at the time of operation. I think it's fine, but i'm sure if it's not, the vet will tell us .:)

Do you really need to bathe him? Cats are usually really clean and keep themselves in good coat condition - you shouldn't need to bathe him at all.
He's an all-white and gets dirty easily. When he's really dirty, he starts grooming himself more and more, biting at the skin to make sure he's perfect, but after we wash him, he rarely grooms for weeks afterwards. Also, we have a person with an allergy in the house, and the less cat hairs and dander around, the better.

Good Luck Marsh. :lol: I like the name by the way - very unusual.
Are most of the people on this site american?
Marsh is short for Marshmallow :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
jenny ahearne said:
A dry diet is best all round with occasional meat as a treat.
Dry, wet, dry, wet....does it or does it not matter??? Some say they MUST have a wet food diet...others say no....I'm confused!!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
If you hang around here long enough, you'll hear this a zillion times more! However, as a feline veterinarian, my advice is that cats need *at least* 50% of their diet as canned food, preferably more.

Many health problems are caused or aggravated by dry food: urinary tract crystals, stones and inflammation; diabetes; obesity; kidney disease; dandruff and dry skin; arthritis; food allergies; and more. Cats are the original Atkins dieters (I call it the "CAtkins" diet!); they need high protein and fat, high moisture, and they do not metabolize carbohydrates very well. Dry cat foods are typically around 40-50% carb; you can find a few that are closer to 30%, but even this is much too high for cats. It is a myth that dry food cleans the teeth. In any case, better to have the teeth cleaned occasionally than to trash the kidneys or other vital organs!

The more I read in the veterinary journals and other science resources, and the more cats I see who have been damaged by a dry food diet, the more crotchety I get about the subject. I'll try not to overwhelm you right now, but if you are interested in learning more, there are several articles on diet and nutrition (among many other subjects!) in our free article library at:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library
There is a cool feature on this page that lets you sort the articles alphabetically by topic, by clicking on "category" at the top; this will group the nutrition articles all together at the bottom.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thanks for the reassurance about wet food. After doing lots of research I was adequately convinced that wet food is very important to their health. Mine get two wet food meals, morning and night, and I free feed during the day incase they need to nibble while I'm away. It's just so frustrating that incorrect info is being given. I asked a vet tech what she thought about wet vs. dry and she said all dry diet is fine. I repeated some info I found online about the importance of wet food and she told me not to believe everything I read online!! I'm sorry but after I read 20 articles giving the same reasons I'm going to take that info into consideration. I feel so bad for all those poor kitties out there whose moms and dads don’t know any better.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update

He was in the surgery this am, and home by 5pm. :) Looks good, he did very well. He was sooo happy to be home, he paced around us, still woozy from anestesia. He rubbed against me at least a million times, sooo happy :D Then he took his favorite mouse in HIS mouth and walked around like that for 30 minutes, i recorded video of that.. it was too funny.

Otherwise, the vet said no food or water till next am... but he was very thirsty! He tried to lick the dew off my cold glass of water, so then i broke own and gave him a little of warm poland spring - he calmed down a lot after that.. now he's sleeping next to me.

Vet said to give him all the food he wants next am, and if he eats, he will be OK. Then we have liquid amoxicillin for the next week, twice a day and then we should be fine.

:) overall, so far our prognosis is A+ :p

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Superkitties said:
RarePuss said:
:) overall, so far our prognosis is A+ :p
Excellent!!
8) he's now running all around and playing, in between giving us all kisses. He's sooo loving, it's crazy :D I wish i could feed him, he seems to want to eat because he constantly comes back to his food area to see if he finally has something there. But i'm going to hold off until tomorrow am, just to be safe. It's funny how he tries to sit down, but goes down sideways, so he doesn't sit on the butt/wound directly, it's kinda cute :D

I'll give him another drink of water before bedtime. ... and post an update sometime tomorrow :)

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
It's funny how he tries to sit down, but goes down sideways, so he doesn't sit on the butt/wound directly, it's kinda cute
LOL. This reminds of Gaylord..he did the same thing after he was fixed :D

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks all.

2nd day, and he's doing great. He just can't stop eating, very hungry, after almost 2 days without food or water.

He went to the bathroom this am, #1 and #2... so i'm happy he's OK in that department. :wink:

He's also playing and doing his regular things. The medicine doesn't scare him at all, it tastes like water.

Only issue is he can't sit straight, always sideways :wink: :lol: 8O :eek:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Aw, so glad to hear everything went well.

I'm probably taking mine in this week. I'm a little nervous! altho it is quite a simple procedure for male cats.

So you haven't noticed any changes in his personality? Other than him being super lovey-which is a good sign. He must be glad to be back home.

That must be hard, not eating for 2 days! :eek: I'm gonna give Taby extra wet food tomorrow just in case ;)

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
artemisa said:
Aw, so glad to hear everything went well.

I'm probably taking mine in this week. I'm a little nervous! altho it is quite a simple procedure for male cats.

So you haven't noticed any changes in his personality? Other than him being super lovey-which is a good sign. He must be glad to be back home.

That must be hard, not eating for 2 days! :eek: I'm gonna give Taby extra wet food tomorrow just in case ;)
Definitely give him extra wet before and after. He'll probably want to drink right after, so i'd give him a little, even if the vet said no, but just water, not food.

No changes in personality yet, but i think we'll never see them anyway, because the neuter happened before we saw any signs of him being a full-male cat = spraying, wandering, wanting to get out, etc :)

good luck! keep us posted, i'd be glad to offer you any help if needed :D

·
Registered
159 Posts
RarePuss said:
No changes in personality yet, but i think we'll never see them anyway, because the neuter happened before we saw any signs of him being a full-male cat = spraying, wandering, wanting to get out, etc :)
Ah, that makes sense :D

Things went well with Taby too. I posted about it. He seems to be doing fine, wasn't actually hungry afterwards and the vet didn't say not to give him food. But I sort of did anyway, last night I gave him extra wet but didn't leave out food last night. He still doesn't seem to be hungry. He's sleepy, walks funny, haven't noticed anything else yet. He meows everytime I enter the room 'cause he wants to get outside! But no, he needs his rest ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts