Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the secretary told me to not feed my kitten any food or water after midnight... she's gonna be so whiny the following morning!

anyhow, is it mandatory to buy any antibiotics or medication after the spay?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Typically, the post-op medication is included with the cost of the procedure.

katsprat

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
only 3 more days! any advice on how the cat should be fed or treated after i pick her up from her surgery for the following days? should i make sure that her litter is completely replaced or should I leave it as is (still usable condition of course) so that she would be familiar with the scent?

thnx

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the litter. She'll be pretty whacked out for a few days. You'll need to watch that she doesn't pick at the incision and try to remove the stitches too soon. Are you having the pre-op bloodwork done? :?:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
kinda, they check for kidney and liver function to make sure they can handle the anestesia. Costs about $40, maybe your vet doesn't routinely recommend it :?: :?

I always have it done.

·
Registered
252 Posts
My Domino is getting spayed on the 29th. I'll miss not having her here for the one night! I'll be glad to get her done though, then all 6 of my babies will be fixed. Poor Domino doesn't even know what's coming up for her next week. Poor baby...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so did u guys really not feed ur cats the night before surgery? im guessing it's for the anesthetics(sp)?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Yes, it is very important. There will be complications if they don't fast. Everytime I have one going under, I have to take up food and drink for all of mine, they take it remarkably well. Also, when you take up the food, scout around for any 'hidden' morsels lying around and keep the toilet lid down in case she tries to sneak a drink of water ( a few of mine have a 'thing' for the toilet :? ) good luck.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i dropped her off this morning, whining and crying.

they told me to pick her up tomorrow morning and suggested i purchase additional pain killer medicine... is this really needed? they also said i have to come back in 16 days to remove the stitches.

anyone know the recovery time for a spay, when she can run,jump and play?

also, should i limit her wet food while she's recovering? i do leave out a dry bowl.

thnx

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
don't know about the pain meds, none of mine ever had them. :?

She should be back to normal in a few days, I'm sure the vet will fill you in on what to watch for and how to feed, it's been over 5 years since my youngest was spayed and I can't remember the details.

Let us know how she's doing! :wink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts