Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am here to learn about the behavior of my cat almost 2 yrs and pregnant. Last Thur she brutally attacked me. Bit and scratched my face and left me with 5 stitches to my left ear lobe. then last night she did the same thing to my left arm bit and scratched me again. I think she smells other cats on me cause I go out to my parents farm and the have cats as well as my sister does too. I take my boys down there almost every week. I can't have her around with my boys they are 1 and 2. She got outside a couple of months ago so that's why she is prego. I had 3 toms hanging around my house lol it was funny come home from work and see them laying around the front door. I think her getting prego from these bad boys may have left bad memories and other cat smells set her off and she tries to eat me lol I had her sitting on my lap while on the computer and I coughed and next thing I know is she is on my face clawing and bitting the crap out of me. I was really bloodied up and she tore up my face pretty good as well as my ear lobe. then last night the same thing after I was out to the farm and came home. So she is going out to the farm to become a farm cat after she has her kittens I am going to get to of them. any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I guess third time is a charm cause I coughed and she was behind me on my chair and ripped my nose up pretty good and then she came after my other leg, She is going to the farm today, I can't keep patching my self up. I don't want to hurt her cause I know it's not her fault I think being pregnant has turned into a psycho kitty. Any help here?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Do you have male cats in the house with her? That could be one reason why she is so aggressive. She could be acting out and being aggressive because she is afraid the male cats are going to hurt her babies. Toms often kill young kittens to bring the queens back into heat.

It is a shame she is going to lose her home. You could just quarrentine her in a room by herself till she has her kittens and you would not get attacked that way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No other cats in the house. I have two toddlers and can't take the chance of that happening to them. There is nothing like the fear of sitting in your recliner and you cough and next thing you know your cat is clawing and biting you. She is at my parents in huge rabbit hutch till she has her babies. I wasn't the least bit afraid of her.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I apologize. Did not realize there were children involved. Really makes me wonder shy she became so aggressive.

It is true all mammals are susceptible to psychological imblance. Heaven knows hormonal imbalance has a big factor in a lot of mental illness. ie: post partum depression, etc.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
She's not imbalanced. YOU let her get pregnant by not spaying her then letting her escape. YOU startled her by coughing. She's hormonal, not crazy. Taking her to the farm because of your actions is horrible, how far along is she in the pregnancy? Maybe your vet can spay her, then the hormones should largely go away and she should go back to normal. If that's not an option then lock her in a room (child locks) and let her kitten there, she might be protective of her kittens, but if you spay her once they're weaned and adopted (8-12 weeks) she should settle back down.

If you're bound and determined to send her away for mistakes you made PLEASE make sure she is kept confined and then gets spayed after this litter. If you don't then she will be stuck having litter after litter. How would you like to be eternally pregnant? If you aren't aware of it already cats have something called a post-birthing heat, this means she can get pregnant as soon as 24hours after giving birth so she needs to be kept inside away from other cats.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
She's not imbalanced. YOU let her get pregnant by not spaying her then letting her escape. YOU startled her by coughing. She's hormonal, not crazy. Taking her to the farm because of your actions is horrible, how far along is she in the pregnancy? Maybe your vet can spay her, then the hormones should largely go away and she should go back to normal. If that's not an option then lock her in a room (child locks) and let her kitten there, she might be protective of her kittens, but if you spay her once they're weaned and adopted (8-12 weeks) she should settle back down.

If you're bound and determined to send her away for mistakes you made PLEASE make sure she is kept confined and then gets spayed after this litter. If you don't then she will be stuck having litter after litter. How would you like to be eternally pregnant? If you aren't aware of it already cats have something called a post-birthing heat, this means she can get pregnant as soon as 24hours after giving birth so she needs to be kept inside away from other cats.
All of this.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Husker, do you have any place that isn't a farm (a friend or neighbour) that might be able to take her? It's just that it sounds like you are frustrated and fed up with her, and not emotionally invested in her. If there's someone that could give her a warm and safe home that's preferable to living in a barn.

Everything librarychick said is spot-on. It's going to be easier for you (and your kids) if you spay her before she kittens (can vets do that?). You know what toddlers are going to be like with a litter of kittens around, and I don't think you'd want more cats around after deciding to get rid of only one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well first up she is do any day. I have had cats my entire life and have never had any of them do this to me. I just thought it was the smell of other cats that was setting her off but turns out that when I startled her by coughing and her brutally attacked me not once but three times that was it. She is very lucky that I did not KILL her on the spot. I knew it had to be something like her being pregnant that was triggering these attacks. Until you have a cat on your face scratching and biting you, you don't know what I went through. I don't know if I want her back cause of the fear of attacking me again even after I get her spade. I gave her chance after chance and the third time it was out of here. Yes I was emotionally invested in her I cried the third time after it happened trying to figure out what happened to my loving cat. I took her out there and when I was putting away all the cat toys and cleaning her food dishes yes I had tears. I live by my self and have my boys 2 days every week and can't have that fear that she would attack them. Sorry but I can't take that chance until you have been brutally attacked by your own cat then don't tell me it's my fault. Not all cats are the same.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Under the circumstances, think you should find a no kill shelter that will spay this girl and her kits and find them proper homes.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I took in a stray cat who was pregnant and she bit me and my fiance. I know it is not her fault, she is hormonal and protective. It is YOUR fault that Your cat is pregnant and acting this way. Please take her to a no-kill shelter or rescue.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
For the record I have been bitten, scratched, hissed at, chased, and have gotten many injuries from my cats. I've always looked at circumstances, what I could have done better, and made changes for the future. I understand what it feels Luke to be scared of your pet.

But the bottom line is that it was you that caused this. The behavior change happened when she got pregnant. Bottom line. If she had been spayed at 6 months this whole thing never would have happened. I understand you wanting to give her up, but for goodness sake don't just dump her outside. Take her to a no-kill shelter where she can have hr kittens, get spayed, and have another chance.

I hope you do the right thing, and that you'll make sure this doesn't happen again. (Just to clarify I mean that in the future if/when you get another pet that you'll have it neutered)

I'd also suggest waiting until your children are older before adding another pet, but that's just from my experience of baby animals and baby people.

·
Super Moderator
26,663 Posts

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
I think OP Huskerkitty said the cat is now being kept in a rabbit hutch until she has her kitties. Hopefully this person will ensure that she's spayed after her kittens are weaned. Unfortunately, there are "psycho" cats that are mentally unbalanced and cannot be rehabilitated, and this cat may be one of them. So I don't blame this poster for wanting it out of her house; I would too. If this cats proves to be as unstable mentally after being spayed, she may well have to be put down---not every cat can be saved unfortunately.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am not abandoning her I have her out there until she has her kittens then she will be spayed. I am not afraid of her if she is in my sight. the first attack happened she was sitting on my stomach, the last two happened while she was sitting on the back of my recliner. They all happened so fast the only reaction I had was to get her off of me. I didn't send out the door until after the last attack. I am very lucky she didn't scratch an eye out. She bit me or scratched my eye brow and my eye lid, sliced my nose open and even the nostrils, 5 stitches in my left ear lobe and deep puncture wounds to my face hands and feet. And yes she out at my parents farm.

·
Registered
271 Posts
You mentioned she may have been responding (misplaced aggression) to the smell of other cats. Were you washing up after interacting with these other kitties so that she couldn't smell them (and the threat she believes they posed) on you?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes I did but the last one that happened 3 days after I was around any cats. I coughed and she was all over me all 3 times I startled her I guess.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I know you may feel less like you're abaondinging her if you send her out to your parents. You'll tell yourself you can still 'visit' her often, but eventually (if she doesn't die of exposure/desease) she'll no longer be the catyou knew for two years. It's a longer goodbye, but it's still leaving her. Were you planning on letting your parents take the kittens as well for their barn colony? They'll be raised as pretty much feral and probably won't be good companions for humans that way.

If you can, after her kittens, I urge you to try to find a nice inside home for your cat (what's her name, by the way?). She had two years of love and companionship with people and it will be incredibly hard for her to adjust to farm life.

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
There always comes an occassional cat which acts this way. It sounds like your cat maybe semi feral.

I think the solution to the problem would be for it to live on a farm. Feed daily and a barn it can sleep and live in. FYI cats cant survive on mousing. You must be committed to having food available to her daily for the rest of her life.

If I were in this situation this is how Id handle it. With TNR we put up 4 x 4 kennels and some time attach two 4x4 to make a 4x8 kennel in the barn or tack room. Zip tie peg board on the top so she cant get out of the kennel. Keep her in there with a shelf and cubes or upside down boxes with a door into them, to hid in. Put litter box by the door of the kennel so you can clean it daily. She can have her kittens in there and begin to raise them.

At 6 weeks remove the kittens from her. Have her in the kennel for 1 week to let her milk dry up. Since she is so unpreditable I would put a have a heart trap in the kennel baited with food. Have an appointment made at your vet or a low cost spay neuter clinic to have her spayed immediately. Bring her back after the spay and let her recover minimum of 3 days. Then release her into the barn.

When your kitty has kittens be sure and provide her with goats milk or KMR suppliment since she is nursing. Give her as much wet food along with dry high calorie kitten food as she can eat. She will be burning lots of calories to nurse her new born kittens.

I have the opposite problem going on with a cat I rescued. She was 6 months old and pregnant. I pulled her out of a back yard of a couple who had began feeding her but wanted her out of their yard as she was fighting with their cat thru the screened door.. She loved people but was deathly afraid of other cats.

She wasnt too far along in her pregnancy so I had her spayed. If a cat is too far along most vets wont spay the pregnant cat. When she was recovering in my air conditioned garage she would let out horrible yowls and throw herself at the door to my house when she heard or knew my fosters were at the door interested in who was out there. She was so tramitized by being mounted by all the Tom cats out of doors that she never recovered.

Fast forward. She is with 4 of my fosters. She is sweet with people but growls and fights with all the males in the house. My own personal cats hate her and attack her. So we sequester her away from the others if were not home to control the interactions in the house. She spends a lot of time on top of the amoire where no cat can get to her. She has food issues when she comes out for her wet food with the other cats and growls and hisses, to this day. This was from being starved as a kitten after she was abandoned out of doors. She cant seem to figure out she will always have food. She just an unbalanced cat which needs to be in a single cat home. This is an exception to the rule. Most cats you can figure out the problem and eventually help them heal. I dont think she will ever trust other cats. very sad but she is a wonderful cat.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts