Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any of y'all had any recommendations for cat carriers. I have two cats and two cat carriers right now. One carrier is much smaller, and I know I'll have to get a new one when Hermione gets larger.

The carriers I have are the normal, run-of-the-mill kind that you can find at Wal-Mart. I've seen more interesting ones around; one man at the vet had a wicker bed-type thing for his kitty. I also saw a round carrier made of tinted plastic, which claimed to be more comfortable for cats.

I'd also like to find an across-the-chest type carrier, like the one seen in the comic strip Get Fuzzy. My bigger cat, Renton, is a shoulder kitty, and I bet he would actually enjoy being carried around on my chest.

Any experiences with diferent carriers?

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
A nice copypaper box works well for my kitty. It's large enough for him, sturdy enough for him, and it's very easy for him to get in and out of. Plus I get them for free from work. :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have two types. One is a soft sided carrier that opens up on the top, side, and front. This one is really easy to carry around and travel with.

The other one is a hard plastic carrier with metal doors on the top and the front. It is big enough to fit two cats inside.

I recommend one with a top entrance as I have found that it is much much easier getting a cat inside the carrier this way.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I take Kitty to the vet in two laundry baskets. I put her in one and flip the other upside down on top. I use the baskets around the house, so she sees them all the time and isn't afraid. And it's easy to put her in because the opening is so large. Then I tie the two baskets together with string.

On the downside, they laugh at me at the vet.

Those round tinted plastic ones cost a bundle, I saw them online for $89.99. I've been looking for a carrier myself. I have a regular one, that I take Thomas in. But Kitty does not like to be held or forced to do anything, and I can't get her in the regular carrier.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I'm going to get one of the soft carriers. It's a nice snuggly blanket which zips up into a special carrier. Supposed to be good for cats who don't like to travel. My cat as fine until the handle snapped of his own carrier with him in it. I was so upset that I vowed never to buy the plastic, run of the mill carriers again.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Speaking from the vet's point of view, I prefer to see a top-opening option in the carrier. Much easier to get the cat out--and back in, too. The soft-sided carriers have it, and are really nice and are airline-approved.

I have seen my share of improvised carriers, including the dual-laundry-baskets and even hampers. Hey, if it keeps the cat where it belongs, it works for me! :)

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
drjean said:
Speaking from the vet's point of view, I prefer to see a top-opening option in the carrier. Much easier to get the cat out--and back in, too. The soft-sided carriers have it, and are really nice and are airline-approved.
Where can I find such a carrier :oops:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I got mine at good ol' Petsmart for $30 (the name-brand "Sherpa" carriers are more like $70!). I'm sure there are hundreds of places online, too--have you done a search?

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I acutally never heard of it before.. I have 2 carriers which I think are great, but getting the cats IN to go to the vet, then OUT at the vet is a hassle :oops:

·
Registered
30 Posts
When Zoey was adopted from the shelter, she was determined not to go into the paper box they usually provided. So, e ended up getting a free soft carrier (airline approved) for free :) She doesn't like being in the enclosed space, but she seems "okay" when I took her to the vet in the soft carrier.

Shirley

·
Registered
722 Posts
We have two for Envy, the usual plastic type with the front opening(breeder gave it to us) and a Samsonite soft-sided airline approved that she definatly prefers which we got from Petsmart for $50. I prefer the soft-sided as well, its very stylish hehe.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the ideas. When I do a search, I mostly come up with the soft-sided carriers, which seem to be all the rage. How well do those types hold up? Do the sides tend to cave in a bit, even with the cat inside? If I was a cat, I'd be afraid of claustorphobia :wink: . Will the cat still feel like he has his space?

·
Registered
30 Posts
The one I have actually have see through net material as sides and he carrier actually holds up pretty well (soft, but with wires on the 8 edges).

Shirley

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I have the soft carrier too. I used to put both cats inside because they were very little. I like the bag. It looks like a regular bag and people don't even know I'm carring a cat in it. LOL

Dunga & Yoda don't fit in it anymore so I just keep it home and they play with it (hide and seek). Now I gonna use it for our new kitten.

I think I will have to buy a new one - bigger one. I haven't see a BIG soft carrier. I have to keep looking.... How much space should be in the soft carrier? Should the cat be able to stand up and turn?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts