Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone -

My name is Jason and I live in a suburb of Kansas City. I have a 6-year old male cat - The Edge, and just got a 2-month old female kitten on Monday. I'm still working on a name for her. I joined because, as is common I'm sure, I'm having some difficulty getting Edge to accept that another cat is in his territory, so I joined to get some helpful hints to help him, rather than the kitten.

Anyway, looking forward to getting advice from seasoned multiple cat owners!

Jason

·
Super Moderator
26,658 Posts
Welcome!

Here are some good guidelines for introducing cats:

Cat-to-Cat Introductions | Little Big Cat

You may have to start over. It might not take long, but better to take it as slowly as you need to for The Edge.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome!

Here are some good guidelines for introducing cats:

Cat-to-Cat Introductions | Little Big Cat

You may have to start over. It might not take long, but better to take it as slowly as you need to for The Edge.
Hi Marie -

Thank you so much for that link. That is very useful information. When I brought the kitten home (she is a Calico so a friend suggested I go with Callie as her name...I like it) I made the mistake and introduced them to each other right away. She was curious as could be and friendly, and they both touched noses and sniffed each other. Then for some reason, Edge started backing up and he started making that low growl sound followed by repeated hisses. Callie's reaction of the bug eyes and ears moving was actually kind of funny.

This will help me out a lot though. I hope it actually works. I decided to get another cat because I travel so much and he is very clingy to me when I am home, not that I am complaining....I love the fact that he is a lap cat and very affectionate, I just think he is lonely when I am gone and thought it would be good for him to have a buddy.

·
Super Moderator
26,658 Posts
Is The Edge fixed? I'm dying of curiosity about his name, too.

My Cali is the first kitty in my signature, but she was named after a friend whose name is California.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Hmm, The Edge eh? My guess is your kitty likes to wrestle lol. Could be wrong, but sounds better than Adam lol. Or you're a U2 fan :). Or neither lol

Welcome to the group - hope all goes well with the intros! I went through that as well about 6 years ago when I brought the two sisters home. Still some crooked noses but they tolerate each other for the most part. Slow and steady is key.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Edge is fixed so not sure why hed act that way towards a female kitten. As far as his name...yes i used to be a u2 fan and edge is way cooler than Bono. :)

·
Super Moderator
26,658 Posts
It'll take a little time, the little "brat" is invading his space, his castle, etc. But Callie is so tiny and non-threatening, it should be okay in time. She will annoy him, and he will likely bop her on the head or show her in some other way that he doesn't want to be bothered, and she'll learn boundaries. Actually, their first contact didn't sound that bad, but it's still good to take it slowly. Give him lots of extra attention, and when they are finally together, give them both treats so he'll learn that being near her can be a good thing. :grin:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts