Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I have just done two home pregnancey tests both came back positive, I know nothing is confirmed till I see the doctor, but if I am how dangerous is it to have cats in the house, can anyone help me with this

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
It shouldn't be very dangerous at all. When you see a doctor ask him/her to take a test for toxoplasmos on you (a parasite that you can get through cats faeces). If you've been exposed to toxoplasmos there's no problem but if you haven't you shouldn't clean the litter box during the pregnancy (actuarally you're more likely to get infected by toxoplasmos through raw meat, or poorly cooked meat). Toxoplasmos can harm the fetus. But if you keep good hygien there's no reason to worry about getting toxoplasmos through the cats. You can even have the cats tested for toxoplasmos. If they test negative, you have nothing to worry about.

And then I guess you shouldn't let the cats cuddle up besides the baby when it's nap time. Make sure that the cats never can do that. Cats like to lay on peoples necks and on their faces and that's not good for a baby.

Many people have cats during and after the pregnancy so I'm sure you and your possible baby will be fine.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would have someone else clean out the litter to prevent toxiplasmosis. I had my husband do it the whole time while I was pregnant. Anything else you do with the cat is fine like holding it. I had a healthly baby boy with no problems. My cat has not jumped in his crib and she has not hurt him. Everytime my baby chases the cat she runs away.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Sol said:
And then I guess you shouldn't let the cats cuddle up besides the baby when it's nap time. Make sure that the cats never can do that. Cats like to lay on peoples necks and on their faces and that's not good for a baby.
I have proof to that, lol

·
Registered
46 Posts
There is really no reason to worry about your cats.
Be a bit careful with the litter box, if possible let someone else clean it during your pregnancy, or use a mask and protective gloves .
But be also careful of raw meat or poorly cooked meat. You are more likely to get infected through this than throug the litter box.

And congratulation!!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Don't worry, you'll be fine! My mom had four cats running around while she was preggers with me, and I turned out fine. She ate unpasteurized milk products too. We in the west have come to be way too germ-phobic imo. Studies are coming out every day that show a strong link between "protecting" ourselves from germs and diseases and higher sensitivity to those very things. So enjoy your cats and your baby. They aren't mutually exclusive!

·
Premium Member
8,186 Posts
Congrats!!! All i've heard is that the toxins in the litter box aren't good for a pregnant women to breath in. I don't know if that's been confirmed or not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts