Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of you knew and had to put up with me going on and on about the two blind cats and the two visually impaired cats I rescued. I can’t say “I” because it was a joint effort of so many people stepping forward to help in so many different ways.

Sending money for the surgery, getting them in our local newspaper, donating food, and spending hours with them socializing them and helping in their care before and after the surgeries. Helping me medicated and enriching their lives with activities and holding and loving them. Two of my friends have spent a zillion hours just socializing them. One of my friends had knee surgery and he was crawling in and out of their 4x8 cage and kneeling on the cement floor of my garage helping me medicate them 4 times a day!

One of the blind girls~ Shirley was adopted. But no one showed interest in Laverne. I finally gave up and decided she was mine. I broke my foster rule and let her into my heart even deeper.

While I was gone to North Carolina for 6 weeks my friend and personal vet had an I Care For Animals event. Showing how to have a cruelty free life style. My friends went to the event and had a table of our TNR information and had my foster cats pictures at the table with a video of blind Shirley playing, interacting with other cats and showing her fearless attitude of climbing, running, playing etc.

There were several rescue represented at the event. A woman who rescues goats came by the table and saw the video but my friends had gone into the Vegan lunch by then. She contacted my friends the next day saying she was interested in adopting Laverne. Thank God I was out of town. I become an adoption nazi when it comes to Laverne. My friend interview this woman over the phone. Asked for recommendations to check. Got good reports. Called again the next day asking more questions of the woman. The woman has had a blind cat and has a one eyed cat!

When she came to meet Laverne she let Laverne hear her voice, which a first time person usually spooks Laverne but this woman’s voice didn’t! The woman picked her up and usually Laverne doesn’t like it and struggle to get down till she knows the person. But Laverne just looked at her and did a small hiss. She put Laverne down and Laverne turned to sniff her rather than run off! So my friend let her take Laverne home. Weve called everyday checking on Laverne. The woman doesn’t mind. I know it’s overboard but I’m so protective of her after all she has been thru the last four years. She is doing great. Getting along with the other cats in the woman’s home and spent her first night out sleeping with the other cats rather than be kenneled.

I keep looking into my living room out of habit, looking for Laverne in her basket. Then get a pang in my heart that she isn’t there anymore. My blind foster cats have changed my life. They are handicapped. But they are resilient and fearless. They adapted and carry on with life.

There is a whole sub culture of blind cat lovers and rescuers I’ve come across. They know and love and value the blind and deaf kitties out there. They know what extraordinary cats they are!

Here are a few pictures of the one of the cats, Laverne, which changed my life!

Laverne presurgery with infected atrophied eyes!

Learning to climb and play on their cat tree

Exploring a new cat tree my neighbor made for them!

Laverne in my African basket. One of her favorite spots!

Laverne sleeping on my beach chair.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I'm sure you'll miss her, but it sounds like she has a wonderful forever home with someone who understands her and loves her. That's great news!

·
Super Moderator
26,493 Posts
That's wonderful!!!!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
It's nice that she's been adopted by someone who has experience with blind cats. I'm happy for her! Definitely good news!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts