Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Its been some time since I've been on the forum, but I could really use your support right now. I know many of you will understand what we're going through.
My boy Cheddar had another emergency trip to the vet this last week, for a urinary blockage. It's been a really rough and stressful few days, for me but especially for poor Cheddar. I knew something was up Wednesday night and suspected that he was blocked, stayed up half the night with him then took him into the vet as soon as they opened. He stayed there for the day then went to the emergency clinic for monitoring overnight. And if that wasn't enough, when they attempted to remove his catheter in the morning, they couldn't get it out. He needed to be sedated again and have xrays done before they were able to remove it. Turns out there was a kink in the end of it that caused it to get stuck.

I brought him home Friday evening, and he's had to stay in the bathroom since then except for another trip back to the E-Vet late last night. He hadn't peed for quite a while except for a few drops and I thought he had blocked again. I was so stressed out and afraid that he'd have to go through it all over again that I was in tears at that point. Got him to the vet and he had urinated all over his carrier and himself, which was good news because it meant he did not block again.

He has pain meds as well as a muscle relaxer, but has still been so uncomfortable that he just curls up on a towel on the bathroom floor. I hate seeing him like this. I'm so stressed out because I'm afraid something else is going to go wrong, and I'm kicking myself because I didn't pick up on the signs early enough to prevent it. If I had, he wouldn't have had to go through this again. This is not the first time he has had a urinary blockage either. The first time was a year ago, almost to the day in fact. Go figure, right?

So, if you would, please send positive thoughts our way. Cheddar could really use them right now.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Must be so stressful for you and painful for Cheddar. You take good care of yourself too, take a deep breathe and breath out slowwwlyyy.... Cheddar needs you to be strong too.

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
((((((HUGS)))))) to both you and Cheddar. Please don't beat yourself up for maybe missing some signs. Your focus now needs to be the present.

I hope this all passes quickly.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Poor Cheddar :( I'm so sorry to hear about this. Positive thoughts to both of you, I hope he gets better

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the kind words and good thoughts. Cheddar seems to be in a bit better spirits today. When I got up this morning, he was being chatty and rubbing against my legs, looking for some attention. I was so happy to see that he was feeling well enough to move around. He's a bit lethargic again tonight. In fact, he's spent most of his time laying in the tub, but he's still more alert than he was this weekend.

My other cat Sadie, the little stinker, seems to be enjoying the fact that Cheddar has been stuck in the bathroom... no one to chase her around and she gets to hog the bed.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, here we are two weeks later.... I thought the worst was over, but apparently not. He had been happy, using the box regularly, but now today he has a lot of blood in his urine. There was a puddle of urine on the bathroom floor when I got up. He just left another one a short while ago and has been in and out of the box constantly since then.

So worried right now that he's going to block again that I'm about ready to break down and cry.

·
Registered
804 Posts
:( *hugs* I'm so sorry... did the vet recommend anything you could do to try to keep him from blocking if you suspected it might be coming on? I'm surprised he hasn't had that special surgery with all of these problems :(

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Our vet mentioned the PU surgery, and I wanted to try to avoid it if I could, partly because it's so expensive and also because it's a major surgery with potential complications and a longer recovery. I think that's the route we may end up having to take, though. It wouldn't prevent Cheddar from developing crystals, but the chances of developing a blockage would be slim. We certainly can't keep going through this, and I don't want to lose him. I can't even think about taking a vacation or even being away for a couple days without thinking about the possibility that something might happen while I'm away (not that I'll be able to afford a vacation after all this anyway).

We have an appointment with the vet shortly. Hoping to get him some more medication that will help with the pain and inflammation and prevent him from blocking again. Can't do much else besides worry and wait at this point. Please keep fingers and paws crossed for him.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Hugs and good thoughts your way!!!

It is nice to see you and the kitties here again, I still remember the great signature you had before with the illustrations of Cheddar and Sadie... :)

Fran

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Fran, can't believe you remember that sig :) I should find out what became of it so I can start using it again. It's been nice seeing that there are still a lot of familiar faces around here. I really have missed the forum and so many of the people here. Looking forward to getting to know some of the newer members as well.

So, vet sent us home with more meds... more Buprenorphine (for pain) and a new one called Dibenzyline which is supposed to help relax his urethra so he can pass urine more easily. He's wearing an E-collar as well so that he doesn't irritate and inflame that area any more by licking at it. We're switching to Hills S/D for a few weeks since it is more acidifying than the C/D and will dissolve any crystals faster. The vet also recommended feeding him cat food soup (really watered down canned food) to help flush out his system. I have been mixing in water with a lot of his meals, but what she described was more of water with a little cat food mixed in.
She confirmed he has not blocked again, at least not as of right now. Hopefully the meds will help to prevent that from happening.

·
Registered
201 Posts
So sorry to hear about Cheddar. I hope the meds and diet do their thing and he gets better soon. My thoughts are with you. Best wishes to you and yours.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts