Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a job interview on Monday!!!

My last job was a lateral transfer so I haven't had a job interview in 11 years! I'm so freaking nervous and the pressure is big time on because I *NEED* this job and it's one I'd enjoy a lot.

I'm scouring web sites and writing down and practicing questions they may ask as well as writing down sensible questions of my own to ask them.

I could appreciate your good thoughts and/or prayers though!

·
Banned
952 Posts
Good luck, MowMow!

My advice - rehearse. It may seem awkward, but rehearsing WILL have an impact. Out loud, ask yourself a question. Pause. Out loud, answer the question.

Lists your strengths and weaknesses; be honest. Now turn your weaknesses into a strength. For instance - I'm am very, very detail-oriented. I can occasionally become so focused on getting the minutia of details right that I lose track of the overall picture.

This is true, and it truly can be a problem, but interviewers love to hear it. (Personally, I don't think they actually believe someone can GET that focused on the details so they don't really understand the scenario I'm describing; they only hear "detail-oriented". *chuckle*)

All other things being equal, it's the relationship established between the interviewer and the interviewee that seals the deal. Try to mirror the interviewers state of mind: relaxed, intent, casual, whatever, and, without being a mimic, try to copy their body mannerisms.

Never cross your arms.

If you see an opportunity - which usually happens towards the end of the interview, but not always - try to make a personal connection with the interviewer. Do they have a banner in their office for a team you also like? You could make a comment about the team's current progress in the sport. That kind of stuff.

Oh, and make sure you have a question or two about the company, something that fits in with or potentially impacts what you're going to be doing if possible. Of course, you'll have to know some history to do that, but you should anyway if you want to work for them.

Good luck, again!

AC

·
Super Moderator
26,523 Posts
This was good advice given to me just recently:

Near the end of the interview, say something to the effect that you realize everything can't be included on a resume, and ask if there are any areas in which they aren't sure you're qualified or have the right experience with. That way, they can address any areas they're hesitant about with regard to hiring you specifically.

That puts the ball back in their corner.

Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts