Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be doing a bit of travelling this summer through the midwest with family and friends, stopping to visit others along the way. The adults in our group promised the kids that we would visit a waterpark somewhere between Wisconsin and Ohio. We'll be driving along I-90 east until Chicago, then I-80.

Not to sound curmudgeonly, but I don't care for amusement parks or typical tourist attractions. I hate crowds, overpriced t-shirt hawkers, and waiting in line (yes, I know :oops: ...we are going to a waterpark after all). I'd like to find someplace that's not too crazy, appeals to all ages (including slighty surly teens :lol:), and doesn't focus on thrill-rides.

I looked into Wisconsin Dells, but I get the sense that it's packed with people in the summer. The hotels that have their own guest-only parks sound great, except for the prices 8O

Can anyone recommend a park that they visited and liked?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I don't know how much you are looking to spend but my family usually takes a trip to the Wilderness resort in the WI dells. It is one of the resorts that has its own water parks. It has fun for the whole family. It has multiple indoor and outdoor water parks with different levels of slides and tube rides. If there are multiple families with you look in to their condos and cabins. Most have a few bedrooms so you could split the cost. Not only that, they have full kitchens so you could go grocery shopping and cook your own food instead of going out. They also have a huge arcade and indoor playground for the younger crowd. They also have a nice golf course(I have been told since I don't golf) I have been there during the busy summer time and I never felt overwhelmed by the crowds at the Wilderness. There are so many different waterparks(indoor and out) that everyone is really well spread out.

Yes the Dells can be crowded in the summer but if you stay there you really don't have to leave since everything is right on the grounds and they have shuttles to take you places. I would highly recommend it!

I know in Waukesha there is also the Country Springs Inn. They have an indoor waterpark. It is much smaller than anything at the dells and more expensive from what I have seen.

PS...if you go to the Dells you have to go to Paul Bunyans Log Shanty for breakfast. Its a family style breakfast in an old logging shack. Their doughnuts are to die for. There usually is a line to get in but it is worth it!

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Is the Wilderness Resort one of the cheapest ones?

I also heard that there are price specials on Mondays.

Even though I live in WI, I have never been to these.
My kids are old enough to go soon.
I am going to start price shopping.
I also want a place that has everything in one place.
Dont like large crowds either......

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Oh yes and we will need those rooms that have mini kitchens in them.
So we can make all of our own food.

I heard that the buffet's are like $18 per person 8O 8O 8O

I think we can survive on PBJ's and lunch meat.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HersheysKiss said:
I don't know how much you are looking to spend but my family usually takes a trip to the Wilderness resort in the WI dells. It is one of the resorts that has its own water parks. It has fun for the whole family. It has multiple indoor and outdoor water parks with different levels of slides and tube rides. If there are multiple families with you look in to their condos and cabins. Most have a few bedrooms so you could split the cost. Not only that, they have full kitchens so you could go grocery shopping and cook your own food instead of going out. They also have a huge arcade and indoor playground for the younger crowd. They also have a nice golf course(I have been told since I don't golf) I have been there during the busy summer time and I never felt overwhelmed by the crowds at the Wilderness. There are so many different waterparks(indoor and out) that everyone is really well spread out.

Yes the Dells can be crowded in the summer but if you stay there you really don't have to leave since everything is right on the grounds and they have shuttles to take you places. I would highly recommend it!

I know in Waukesha there is also the Country Springs Inn. They have an indoor waterpark. It is much smaller than anything at the dells and more expensive from what I have seen.

PS...if you go to the Dells you have to go to Paul Bunyans Log Shanty for breakfast. Its a family style breakfast in an old logging shack. Their doughnuts are to die for. There usually is a line to get in but it is worth it!
Thanks :) The Wilderness was the one I liked best of all the ones I've looked at. Kalahari was very pricey, and I heard mixed reviews of Great Wolf. If we end up staying at a resort, that will probably be the one. Your good review is another point in their favor :wink:

I love a good breakfast, so I will definitely put Paul Bunyan's on our list of possible stops. Thanks for mentioning it!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Wow, why haven't I head of the whole Wisconsin Dells thing before?

I may have to take a trip out there next summer. It's not TOO far from Iowa for a road trip, I have family more-or-less in the area (in Appleton and, I think, Portage) and I *LOVE* waterparks!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Nothing compares to the Dells. GO THERE! :)

(Though I understand they're awfully flooded right now. Hopefully they bounce back well.)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yes the Dells were hit hard by the rain. Lake Delton, a man made lake, broke through its banks and returned to the WI river so the lake is now empty but they are going to rebuild. All of the resorts are still open and doing fine. I don't know how downtown Dells is holding up though. I know I said you really never need to leave the Wilderness resort but there are a lot of other neat things to see in the Dells. My DH and I honeymooned there. There is a small main street that has your typical tourist trap places but there is an old fashioned candy store and other shops. A neat place to walk in the evening. There are some really nice mini golf places. There is the deer park which you can walk through and feed numerous kinds of deer and other animals.

One thing that is really cool is the Duck tours. No you aren't looking at ducks. They are amphibious military vehicles from WWII that they use to take you on tours of the local wonders....The Dells! You ride throught the woods and on the river. It is very beautiful! I know one part of the tour was splashing into Lake Delton but I don't know how the tour is affected by the flooding.

ETA: I will admit the wilderness is not cheap but they do have different levels of rooms and acomodations for different price levels but if you think about the fact that you don't have to pay for admission for every member of your family to a water theme park, it is worth it. You get wrist bands every morning for the water parks included in the price of your room. I believe most of the rooms with the kitchen would be the condos or the cabins. Here is their site http://www.wildernessresort.com/ .

·
Banned
1,177 Posts
All this talk about waterparks! Now I REALLY want to get one of my bathing suits out of the closet and head to a waterpark! :)

There is a simple waterpark, Pioneer Waterland, just a few miles off I-90 at the Madison/Thompson exit near Chardon, OH. It is the traditional simple waterpark with plenty of wet and dry attractions. Not nearly as fancy as the waterparks in the Dells, but it is a nice one and the cost is reasonable. Normal admission is $18.95 and $3 for parking. But if you order tickets online to be picked up at the customer service window, it is $14.95 for an "anyday" ticket or $13.95 for a weekday(excluding holidays) ticket. It is a nice little park and I was there recently. Now I do not really remember any hotels near the park because I was not looking for them.

Another waterpark is Wildwater Kingdom in Aurora, OH. It is the waterpark side of the now-closed Geauga Lake amusement park. It has a unique water jungle gym among other things. But it is close to $24 admission and $5 for parking. Plus it is a bit out of the way of I-90. However, there are a couple hotels close to it. This is the waterpark I referred to in the other thread that is 5 minutes from my friend's pool. I was there last year. But as I said in the other thread, when I want to swim, I just grab a bathing suit and head to her house. If I go there after work, that is nice because my job is halfway between home and her house.

But as far as Wildwater Kingdom and others are concerned, I did go with others as they had tickets. I am not going to pass on free admission. :lol: So when asked to go, I said sure. I opened the closet, grabbed a bathing suit off the hanger, and went to the waterparks to spend a day.

If I had to choose a favorite between the two, I would choose Pioneer Waterland.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Donaldjr1969 said:
Lisa, have you made this trip before??
Do you mean driving out west, Don? I have driven across country before, though it's been many years. I drove from Colorado to Connecticut (mostly on I-80) back in college.

As far as the waterparks, this will be a new experience for me 8O :lol: We have settled on Chula Vista in the Wisconsin Dells, as that had the best available combination of price and waterpark offerings for when we'll be there. The less expensive rooms at Wilderness were sold out :(

We may make another stop in Ohio since we are visiting friends there, so your suggestions may come in handy, Don :)

·
Banned
1,177 Posts
I was wondering because if you have never driven I-90 through Cleveland, there is a NASTY curve just west of Exit 175 called Dead Man's Curve.

Dead Man's Curve

The suggested speed limit is 35mph going around the curve. As long as you are not driving an SUV or van/minivan, you can probably go 45mph safely. Many trucks have tipped along that curve and it has seen its share of nasty accidents.

Anyway, I hope you find a good waterpark. As I said before, Pioneer was my favorite of the two I mentioned. So when a friend said they had tickets, it did not take me very long to grab a bathing suit off a hanger from my closet and head out for a day of sun and fun! :D

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Hey, Don, I think I just heard on the radio that an 83yo man bought the Big Dipper at the Geauga Lake auction today. That was my favorite coaster. Not sure if I heard it right, tho.

Nope, I heard wrong. It was a mystery bidder, the coaster is 83 :lol:

$5,000 was the winning bid, which means they probably bought it for scrap. so sad.

·
Banned
1,177 Posts
catnip said:
Hey, Don, I think I just heard on the radio that an 83yo man bought the Big Dipper at the Geauga Lake auction today. That was my favorite coaster. Not sure if I heard it right, tho.

Nope, I heard wrong. It was a mystery bidder, the coaster is 83 :lol:

$5,000 was the winning bid, which means they probably bought it for scrap. so sad.
No kidding, Steve. I also loved The Villain because a good wooden coaster tossed you around in the seats. I still feel Cedar Fair ran the park into the ground because they wanted more people to go to Cedar Point. But Kennywood outside of Pittsburgh is pretty much the same distance from Akron as Cedar point is as well. And I have been hearing more advertising from Kennywood.

Wildwater Kingdom was nice, but darn it was crowded last year... I also got burnt in my bathing suit because my SPF 45 sunscreen did not work very well. My SPF 30 that was 7 years old seemed to do a better job! :evil:

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Donaldjr1969 said:
I was wondering because if you have never driven I-90 through Cleveland, there is a NASTY curve just west of Exit 175 called Dead Man's Curve.

Dead Man's Curve

The suggested speed limit is 35mph going around the curve. As long as you are not driving an SUV or van/minivan, you can probably go 45mph safely. Many trucks have tipped along that curve and it has seen its share of nasty accidents.
Yikes, that's not good at all 8O Thanks for the heads-up, Don. Thankfully, I'll be on I-80 so I'll be able to avoid that stretch!

coaster said:
Bethany said:
Wow, why haven't I head of the whole Wisconsin Dells thing before?!
Because it's a big tourist trap. There are much more interesting things to see and do in Wisconsin.
You'd better tell me about some, Tim, because my head may explode from the whole waterpark thing 8O I'll need some balance :lol:

Seriously, it looks like a beautiful state, so I do hope to explore a bit along the I-90 route, if you or others have suggestions.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts