Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much should a cat weigh?

Mammers looks absolutely massive (partly because of his longer fur), and it looks like he has quite the tummy/gut on him. He doesn't overeat, though, and is full of energy. My family and boyfriend always make fun of how "fat" he is, and so I put him on the scale, and it looked like he was 12lbs. For comparison, I weighed our other cats. Bo and Sushi both weighed around 11/12lbs, and Skeezer weighed about 9 (she's smaller/more delicate than the others, always has been).

Mammers is about a year old and while he may grow a bit more, he's been about this size for quite a while. He started off very sick and starving, and slowly got to be pretty big looking!

I used to feed him an all-dry diet with occasional wet food (I'm a student, and wet food is a bit more expensive), but I've been including much more wet food lately as he likes it more and I want to make sure it isn't his food that gives him the, uh, illusion of fatness (?).

I leave some dry food in his dish and give him a half-can or so of wet food a day (I've read that if you're on an all-wet diet, it should be a whole can.....so I've halved that and give him some dry food). He's not a picky eater, and he tends to mow down the wet food and leave the dry alone for a while, but I don't give him too much at a time so he's not chomping through a day's worth at a time or anything. He has no problem running around like a fool, and doesn't appear to be out of shape.

Thoughts? I don't want my cat to be tubbo, nor have some freakish illusion of tubness :lol: I have no idea why he looks fat compared to the cats that weigh the same as him.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing. I emailed the breeder regulary about our kittens weight and she replied to me last time "how do you get your cats to grow so fast?". That made me think I'm doing something wrong.

The cats are not fat at all (only 21.5 weeks old), but the scale says one thing and I guess I have to trust it. According to the scale Sam weighs 3.4 kilos (7.49 lbs) and Suzy 2.6 kilos (5.73 lbs).

The breeder says that her 9 month old Siamese male kitten weighs 3.7 kilos (8.15 lbs), so it sounds like Sam is going to be a huge cat. Suzy might be fairly big too for a female. Now I haven't seen the breeders kitten for a while, but I don't recall it being small.

So maybe someone who know's Siamese could tell me what's normal for my rascals?

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I don't think there is an idea weight for cats. Just like people...it depends on there bone structure, height, etc. Kitty is 12.4 lbs and is BIG. She has a big saggy belly and is a slow mover. Thomas is 12.2 lbs and is almost perfect. He's just starting to get a little belly (vet says more excersize is in order).

You can tell if your cat is overweight by looking at them. Just follow the guidelines laid out here, Kitty is about an 8 and Thomas is about a 6:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... icleid=660

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Kitty's Mom is right, there is no real ideal weight for cats - because, like humans, it depends on body structure, muscle mass, etc.

My parents have a cat that's well over 20 pounds, but you'd never consider him as being fat. When Punky tipped the scales at 10.5 pounds, you could tell that she was a very fat cat. Now she's just around 9 pounds and she looks great. Elly is somewhere between 7.5 and 8 pounds and she's at her ideal weight too.

That chart on the link provided really helps.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Hey CyberPet,
I have a Siamese...he just turned a year old and he's 9 pounds. It sounds to me that Sam will be a bigger cat....or maybe Maleke is just a smaller cat. My mom's Siamese is 9 years old and weighs 11lbs....and is not overweight at all. I guess it depends on the length and height as well when it comes to how the weight is distributed. My vet recently told me he feels a bit "extra" around Maleke's ribs....though he looks like a gangly skinny monkey. So I have increased the wet food.......but 9lbs doesn't sound big for my cat so I'm not sure if my vet is wrong or what! 8O

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Thanks Maleke! I know that Sam and Suzy's dad is a big cat. I haven't seen him "live" but others have and they say he's a huge cat but not fat. So I guess it's genes as well. When I feel Sam, he's pure muscles, so I doubt he's fat.

At what age are they fully grown?

·
Registered
821 Posts
I think they are full grown at a year and a half. So for all I know, Maleke might still be growing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts